cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Data add-ons expire after 30 days"...

survivalistbum
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There is now a new caveat for add-on purchases (for both when buying them with money or by exchanging points) that says:

"Data add-ons expire after 30 days."

...my questions are:

1: I have almost 3 gb of data in my account that HAD been rolling over month to month as I only used a very small amount of it each month. Is this nearly 3 gb of data now on the verge of expiring? Or, will it continue to roll-over month-to month as it has been all year?

2: And; if it is not about to expire, if I were to buy ANOTHER 3 gb of data, which batch of data would I go through first? The old month-to-month data, or the newly-purchased 3 gb of data that expires in 30 days? Please let me know asap. Thank-you...

Take care -Daniel

7 REPLIES 7

Ken11

I did know they had put the 30 day limitation on add on data. I just bought a 3 gb add on as it was the lowest cost per GB. That would've done me for a year of extra data. I wished they would've warned us. Guess they will soon be like all the main stream plans. 

survivalistbum

Response I received from agent:

"I am still here for you, if you will change the plans and if the add-ons will be removed, I will try to add them for you, hope that the system will let me."

...but still sounds like it might be a crap-shoot as to whether or not I would lose the data I already have in my current plan, so I'm hesitant to buy a more expensive plan until I've used-up the data I already have. The new rules may actually be losing public a few bucks here.

...if anyone at public is paying attention to the various ideas for what to change and not change being brought forth on this forum: What about simply allowing "legacy add-on data" to be used LAST, instead of FIRST? I know that many of us were just using that data a little bit at a time because we usually didn't need very much data each month. Please consider.

Take care -Daniel

survivalistbum

@esjliv Thank-you for your help...I know you're a "lowly" customer like me so I really appreciate!

What you are saying about the public-policy regarding plan-change not affecting purchased add-ons (what I have is actually x-mass gift data from public, if that matters) makes sense and seems FAIR...but I just received a private message about this exact question from an agent (will not to name) that says:

"In regards to changing the plan, unfortunately, you will not be able to keep the add-ons, these were added to your current plan."

...Don't know what to think about this? public for sure is trying to figure out this new regime just like we are. I guess it would have been better if they had it down-pat well before the big change...and maybe even give advance notice OF all these changes. Even if the changes are never changed-back (like many including myself have voted to do for the data-expirations) implementing these changes in a more slow, controlled, and deliberate manner would give public a lot less of a haphazard, "budget" feel. I think that for a communications-provider, it needn't be this way...coms are really important (911, etc.) for everyone. Also hope that the timing of the long-awaited unveiling of the new app (Which I really like) coinciding with these other changes wasn't meant to be a distraction...since we all seem to be paying attention.

Not to "triangulate", (I just really want to know the new rules) I will bounce your statement off the agent and see if that changes things. Or, better yet; public will; in it's infinite wisdom, bring back the monthly roll-over data add-ons, like goddess/god intended, before I leave for my canoe-trip. Amen!

Take care -Daniel

@survivalistbum - changing plans will not affect the purchased addons on your account. The ones purchased prior to May 8th will still stay until used up. And I would presume any you purchased after will still have those 30 day expiry dates.

Know that posting here on the community forum we are customers and members like you here. 

For your reference, you can use the “Get Help” section at the top of the screen above: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help, and in the “Start your Search here” box type 'customer support agent' to get methods to Contact a Customer Support Agent (CSA) with Public Mobile.

survivalistbum

@esjliv Thank-you very much...

public mobile; please remove the expirations and let us just use the data we purchase.

I'm planning a camping trip that would put me out of wifi-range (and sometimes cellular altogether) for over a week, so I'd be relying on data to stay in-touch. I'd like to buy a chunk of data to use on my trip, but based on this answer my roll-over data would get used 1st. If I'd been warned this change was coming I would have bought the new data before May 8. Is there any way to buy data that would get used BEFORE my precious roll-over data? Like if I changed-plans, today, to a plan with more data, would I get to keep the data add-ons in my account? And more-importantly, would those kept/transferred add-ons remain as roll-over data?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@survivalistbum wrote:

There is now a new caveat for add-on purchases (for both when buying them with money or by exchanging points) that says:

"Data add-ons expire after 30 days."

...my questions are:

1: I have almost 3 gb of data in my account that HAD been rolling over month to month as I only used a very small amount of it each month. Is this nearly 3 gb of data now on the verge of expiring? Or, will it continue to roll-over month-to month as it has been all year?

2: And; if it is not about to expire, if I were to buy ANOTHER 3 gb of data, which batch of data would I go through first? The old month-to-month data, or the newly-purchased 3 gb of data that expires in 30 days? Please let me know asap. Thank-you...

Take care -Daniel

Hi @survivalistbum 

1-any purchased addon that was purchased prior to May 8th is NOT subject to this 30 day expiry. So what you had on your account for data adds will remain until used up.

See here for reference: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/data-add-ons 

2-if you buy data add ons now, your plan data would get used first, then any older data addons, then your newest data addons. Hope that makes sense.

survivalistbum

P.S. I would be purchasing the 3 additional 30 day-expiring data with points, if that makes any difference...

Need Help? Let's chat.