cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible to get temporary number while waiting for port?

thomas2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I signed up to PM and activated my SIM, I immediately requested to port my number from VOIP.MS.

Now that I'm waiting for that to happen, I regret that I didn't simply take the number that PM offered me, and THEN request a port. That way, at least I'd have a working phone right now. I'm reading that the port from VOIP.MS can take days. (VOIP.MS have confirmed that they've done all the needed work at their end.)

Anyone know if there's a way to get a temporary number from PM while waiting?

10 REPLIES 10

ftc

I wasn’t really looking for help. The issue I was having was explained in the thread. I was simply making a suggestion that you include a sentence or two on the signup page, explaining the implication of performing a one-step port to a new SIM, as it isn’t clear that there isn’t a temporary number assigned in this case.

@imm1304 could also be referring to submitting corrected info then

Mods are here to put the friendly face on the technical stuffs Cat Wink

I read it like opening a new request I was like I can not beleive they would do that lol

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @kav2001c!

I picked up the word "re-submit" from the mods in the olden days. 

I am not familiar with the specific workings of the number port system.. all I know is that its an automated system accessed by all Canadian carriers.  

@imm1304 I am guessing they do not actually do that... every other carrier simply updates the open port request. Resubmitting would take longer. (minutes vs hours)

@imm1304 wrote:

If more than couple of hours have passed since you ported, then you will need help from the mods to resubmit the port request and sort it out. 

imm1304

Hey @ftc,

You posted at the end of an old inactive thread.  Its better to start your own thread to get a response quicker.  

Are you stuck with a failed port?  If more than couple of hours have passed since you ported, then you will need help from the mods to resubmit the port request and sort it out.  It doesn't really take too long once the mods are looking at your message.  The mods will be online tomorrow morning 9am to 9pm eastern time. 

Send a private message to @CS_Agent and provide all the info needed to submit the port request again. For yoru convenience, here is a link you can click to send a private message to the mods:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

ftc

I appreciate the explanation and your inability to provide the information, but could I at least ask that you make this point clear in the text when you activate the card? I was not aware of this, and now I have a phone which can (temporarily) do everything but receive calls. 

Fongo is an interesting workaround, but it is not something that my wife will be happy to find out she has to use for incoming calls!

thomas2

@kav2001cYeah I like voip.ms too. It's too bad that porting is slow, but oh well, it helps to hear that it's normal and I just have to be patient.

thomas2

Thanks imm1304! I hadn't heard of Fongo. I'll give that a try. Much appreciated.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@thomas2 I like voip.ms but they are the slowest at porting I have ever seen

Other voip providers are alot quicker 

imm1304

Hey @thomas2,

Number porting system is atuomated and I am afraid there is no way to get a temp number without cancelling the port. 

Voip.ms will continue to work until the number port is complete.

Just hang in there and get this over with and just manage the situation.. thats what I would do.  

While waiting, install Fongo app on your phone.  Fongo will allow you to sign up and pick a new local number for free and make free calls across North America using Wifi or mobile data.  

Next, you can go to your voip.ms account and forward your calls from voip.ms to fongo until port is complete.   Outbound calls and mobile data should be working fine at the moment on your public mobile sim.  

Need Help? Let's chat.