cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting number issue

leighaembo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi @ Moderator ! I am trying to port my old phone number but it seems to be stuck. I’m on the public mobile network but I still can’t make calls or texts. It’s been 2 days since i put in my new sim card and i’ve tried taking out the sim card and restarting my phone. My old phone was stolen so i don’t have my old phone and old sim card so i can’t receive a text to switch. Could you please transfer my old number for me? Thanks!

edited by computergeek541:  removed tag of the username "Moderator" as that is not the account of a moderator nor is it of anyone else who works at Public Mobile

5 REPLIES 5

leighaembo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you! i submitted a ticket, hopefully it works!

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Fair point.

@Priority wrote:

You'll need to resubmit the Port Request using your old providers account number, than call your old provider to manually release the number to Telus.

Than you call the Telus Porting Department to make sure they recieved the number and they'll be able to make sure it's on your account.

This doesn't always work, so Alternatively you may need to grab a SIM Card from your old provider and have them put your number back on it, so you can resubmit and manually approve the Port Request with the text message yourself.

The above is something that should not be done at this point. As the customer cannot make outgoing phone calls on the Public Mobile service, something else went wrong with the account setup that is unrelated to number porting. Having the number port completed at this time would only cause the nubmer to be ported to a non-working service at Public Mobile.  Having the port completed when the Public Mobile service isn't yet working properly would actually be the worst thing that could happen as it was would cause the cusotmer to lose all access to the phone number once the old carrier releases the phone number.  The Public Mobile account issue needs to be fixed before any porting issue gets looked at.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You'll need to resubmit the Port Request using your old providers account number, than call your old provider to manually release the number to Telus.

Than you call the Telus Porting Department to make sure they recieved the number and they'll be able to make sure it's on your account.

This doesn't always work, so Alternatively you may need to grab a SIM Card from your old provider and have them put your number back on it, so you can resubmit and manually approve the Port Request with the text message yourself.

@leighaembo wrote:

I am trying to port my old phone number but it seems to be stuck. I’m on the public mobile network but I still can’t make calls or texts. It’s been 2 days since i put in my new sim card and i’ve tried taking out the sim card and restarting my phone. My old phone was stolen so i don’t have my old phone and old sim card so i can’t receive a text to switch. Could you please transfer my old number for me? Thanks!

The part about not being able to make outgoing phones calls isn't a number porting issue. Before having the number port completed, it's important to first get your Public Mobile service working properly.  To open a ticket and ask for the help of a Public Mobile customer support agent please use the chatbot at https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html or using the Public Mobile app to open a ticket.

After the issues with the Public Mobile account set up get fixed, you will need to replace the SIM card from the old carrier.  A number can't be ported to Public Mobile unlesss the old carrier allows the phone number transfer.

Need Help? Let's chat.