cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone suddenly stopped working

thymewalker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have two problems:

1) Last night, after working for 2 years, my phone stopped working. Says "no SIM card. Emergency Services only". Data does not work, wifi does. No warning about being out of minutes etc. (which is doubtful anyway).

Potentially, it is because the credit card associated with my account was cancelled a couple days ago due to a fraudulant charge? My bill is not due until Jun 10 so not sure why this would cause a problem, but it's the only change I can think of. Which leads me to problem 2.

2) Can not replace my credit card with another. I tried replacing/adding a new credit card 5 times, each time failed saying:
"Unable to Process Transaction
Sorry, your credit card transaction was denied by your card issuer, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged. Please contact your card issuer for more information."

I contacted mastercard. They say they have approved the transaction each of the 5-6 times I tried. All contact information is confirmed the same.

Not sure what else to try!

thanks for any assistance.

5 REPLIES 5

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@thymewalker wrote:

I have two problems:

1) Last night, after working for 2 years, my phone stopped working. Says "no SIM card. Emergency Services only". Data does not work, wifi does. No warning about being out of minutes etc. (which is doubtful anyway).

@thymewalker  That message usually means that you phone cannot read your sim card. Most of the time if you power down your phone use an eraser on your sim to cleanup any residue and re-insert in your phone it will connect to the PM network again. If not, there might be a problem with the phone so if you can test the sim in another phone and it works then there is an issue with the tray or your phone. If the same problem occurs when your sim is in the tester phone then the issue is the sim and you will need to replace it.

Potentially, it is because the credit card associated with my account was cancelled a couple days ago due to a fraudulant charge? My bill is not due until Jun 10 so not sure why this would cause a problem, but it's the only change I can think of. Which leads me to problem 2.

2) Can not replace my credit card with another. I tried replacing/adding a new credit card 5 times, each time failed saying:
"Unable to Process Transaction
Sorry, your credit card transaction was denied by your card issuer, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged. Please contact your card issuer for more information."

@thymewalker  Dial 611 from your phone does it report your account as suspended? If yes, then that is an issue and you will need to notify the moderator team to resolve. See below on how to contact the moderator team.

I contacted mastercard. They say they have approved the transaction each of the 5-6 times I tried. All contact information is confirmed the same.

@thymewalker  When you try to add a credit card too many times the PM system locks that function so the credit card info needs to be entered by the moderator team after the lock has been cleared. To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

Not sure what else to try!

thanks for any assistance.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The account status should not have any impact on what the phone says aout the sim.  If the sim does not work in another phone,   it probaby means that there is a sim issue.  you could ask the mods

- look into your account and/or to send you a new sim  

- I would probably just go buy a sim card for $10 from a retail store  and try a sim number change. (assuming your account is in good standing)

if it works in the other phone you probaly have a hardware issue, you could try a new sim in this situation as well (especially if the sim from your friends phone works in yours)

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@thymewalker What is your account status, Active, Suspended, or Expired? If it's active try going into your account and reporting your phone as lost/stolen, log out, wait 5 minutes, log in and report it found, then restart your phone. If it says suspended or expired and it's not your renewal date yet then you will need to contact the moderators.

To change your credit card try again using the Chrome browser in incognito mode, if it's still not working you will need to contact the moderators, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@thymewalkerDo you have another phone which you can swap your SIM card in to try? (even borrow your neighbours and friends) That will be the easiest way to diagnoise whether it is Public Mobile's problem or your phone's problem. It also depends on your phone too, eg the iPhone 6 series is prone to have baseband / antenna burn out which gives simliar symptoms. While you have the SIM card out, use a pencil eraser to clean the chip.

If your SIM card doesn't work on someone else's phone ie is your phone is not dead, come back and contact the Moderators. Talk to them about your cc card issue while you are at it.

thymewalker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

and yes, I have tried restarting my phone, several times.

Need Help? Let's chat.