cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone/phablet

Nowan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

lte Tablet is compatible to use as phone on network? have vision problems need larger screen, touch area.

23 REPLIES 23

there are only so limited number of tablets that can do voice on the market.  Just the high end ones, and not even iPad

@dust2dust "Telus only offers a data-only plan for it"

I suspect that limitation is because it only works with cellular data; same as iPad. Calls/text from the tablet require an app, like Fongo, and deliver voip. PM SIM can be used for the data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

So Telus sells this thing. I asked them about whether it can work standalone. He said yes. Saying that they sell and activate it without having another account. However, Telus only offers a data-only plan for it and he said it would be locked to Telus (I didn't challenge him on that legality). So that adds some uncertainty. Of course it's only one agent and we all know one can get different information from different agents.

The fact that text works is good. Would need to know if that's chat type text or whether it's real sms text. Would need to know if mobile data works with no wifi on.

I wonder if you could try another dialer app. Also to set the network mode to LTE etc.

Nowan

t227u

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you verify the exact model name. Like SM-????

@Nowan trust me, it won't work, it is using a Samung features called "Call & text on other devices".  Like iPad, it needs a phone as the bridge

you can go back to BestBuy and ask them to try differnt carrier sim card.

The dialer and text on the tablet is for you to make calls and text once your tablet is connected to the phone, not on it own

Nowan

im aware of what the other device means. one does not exist its battery melted

Nowan

best buy assured me this would work as a phone straight from box  once sim inserted...samsung customer care has advised me that it should be able to as well and that the cellular provider is the problem and that i should contact them,  public mobile being the provider

T220 cannot even be used to make call even you have a phone to bridge

T227 can make calls if you have a phone, steps provided here:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083152/

But in short, both T227/220 cannot make calls on it own

I am not sure about t225, but someone suggested that is the model it can make calls without a phnoe

Nowan

yes it has its own dialer and text message apps as android phones

@Nowan this is what other device means:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083152/

To make calls and send messages on a device other than your phone, you'll need to add the same Samsung account to both the phone and the tablet

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I noticed on that paragraph on that page that was quoted earlier that it ended with (SM-T220) suggesting that the paragraph applies to the T220. The manual is for both versions.

@Nowan- So then we know the services work fine in another phone. Does mobile data work on the tablet (not wifi)? How certain are you that texting is using sms and not rcs chat? Do you have a dialer icon? The green one with the old style phone handset?

@Nowan   this is untrue.  I checked different sources.  This is not a tablet you able to make calls on it owns.  It needs another device to bridge it.  There have been some discussion on RFD as well on whether this one can make calls.  Look like T225 can, but not T227 and T220.  T227 can make calls via another device, T220 cannot even do that

and "On other device means calling from the tablet but use other Samsung phone’s SIM card, similar to what iPad provides.

Which sales got you that? 

Nowan

i was assured by the vendor that it could be pre sale, samsung customer care assured me it could be post sale as well/ they have said contact provider. which is what this is i guess.

@Nowan  I am reading it again, almost certain this device cannot be used to make call without a phone to bridge it

Samsung manual confirms you need the "other devices"

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202203/20220324044324424/T220_T227U_UG_CA_RR_ENG_D4.pd...

Nowan

there is no other device.  the sim from my phone is now in this...i dont want to buy another phone to use my new device....nor another sim.

@Nowan  and it is a mixed comment wheter T227 can make calls, some posted on Samsung site

https://www.samsung.com/ca/tablets/galaxy-tab-a/galaxy-tab-a7-lite-sm-t227-gray-32gb-sm-t227uzaaxac/

Don't buy this tablet if you want to use it as a cell phone. Even if it has LTE this phone can't call without another devices. This is pretty stupid. Why I should have 2 devices for make a call? Should I always move move my sim card from one device to another?

@Nowan   do you have that switch to activate?

To make a call and send a text message, launch the Settings app, tap Advanced
features, and then tap the Call & text on other devices switch to activate it. You must
register and sign in to the same Samsung account on your device and the other device.

And can you try Google dialer?

Nowan

hey so i have a samsung galaxy a7 lite lte model i have inserted my pub mobile sim into it.    i can text  but cannot make rcv calls. in the settings on tablet settings network=publimobile

mobile network state=disconnected     service state=in service      signal strength=-83dbm 56asu      mobile voice network type=lte         mobile data network type=lte   roaming=not.     having spoken to samsung customer service they suggested contacting provider as there is no reason that this should not be good to go for voice calls with its own sim available

I agree there should be no reason other than to be sure that that is the T227 model? Or is it the T220?

Have you done all the OS and app updates?

Can you try the sim in another "normal" phone and see if all the services work? Or were you using a phone before getting this tablet?

Go to settings, connections, mobile networks - see what network mode says. Looking for LTE etc. If not then tap it and select LTE etc.

In that screen also go to network operators - Is the slider toggle over to the right? If not then do so.

Are you "texting" with wifi on?

Nowan

hey so i have a samsung galaxy a7 lite lte model i have inserted my pub mobile sim into it.    i can text  but cannot make rcv calls. in the settings on tablet settings network=publimobile

mobile network state=disconnected     service state=in service      signal strength=-83dbm 56asu      mobile voice network type=lte         mobile data network type=lte   roaming=not.     having spoken to samsung customer service they suggested contacting provider as there is no reason that this should not be good to go for voice calls with its own sim available

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Nowan PM does not restrict it but more the tablets do not have a phone dialer and not capable of voice calls.  For example, iPad cannot be used to make calls.  And most tablets cannot too

But data will work by putting PM sim in a tablet 

frostyfire22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, you can if you have a cellular-capable tablet.

Need Help? Let's chat.