cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keeping old number

newbie07
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm brand new to this and I;m just wondering if theres a fee associated with keeping your old number when switching to public mobile from another company.

9 REPLIES 9

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

@newbie07 wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@newbie07 wrote:

I'm brand new to this and I;m just wondering if theres a fee associated with keeping your old number when switching to public mobile from another company.

@newbie07There is no charge from public mobile to bring your old number. However, your old provider may charge you, this is rare but some companies, like voip numbers or companies that you have been with for a very short amount of time will charge you, this is to prevent you from joining them for a specific number then leaving (just to get there number) contact them to find out.

@Dunkgirl  Thats what I'm afraid of. When I switched from one company to another they offered for me to me able to keep my number then I when the bill came in there was a $30 charge for it. Smiley Frustrated

What providers are we talking about? Prepaid or postpaid? Are you sure that that is a porting fee and not an activation fee, which most postpaid providers charge?

@wetcoaster 

From what I have seem mostly VOIP numbers.

https://www.fongo.com/how-to-transfer-to-another-carrier/

Fongo Mobile and Fongo Works users will be charged a $25 port out fee unless…

• The account is over 90 days old
  • The number was ported to Fongo originally
  • You have made over $25 in purchases on the account

Comwave charges a $50 port out fee.

"Port Out Fee:
It is true we have a port out fee of $50. This is only charged at the time you require to move your number away from our service to another company. The process of porting out a number from another provider is a time consuming process and as such adds a significant cost. As this is a service most customers do not use as they are with us for many years, we do not wrap this cost into our monthly fee. This fee is never more then $50."

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@newbie07 wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@newbie07 wrote:

@newbie07There is no charge from public mobile to bring your old number. However, your old provider may charge you, this is rare but some companies, like voip numbers or companies that you have been with for a very short amount of time will charge you, this is to prevent you from joining them for a specific number then leaving (just to get there number) contact them to find out.

@Dunkgirl  Thats what I'm afraid of. When I switched from one company to another they offered for me to me able to keep my number then I when the bill came in there was a $30 charge for it. Smiley Frustrated

@newbie07 

PM does not charge for porting a number to PM.  But you need to be comfortable using online tool to port your number.

1.  You old number must be active before you can port your old number to PM.  DON'T call your old provider to cancel.

2.  You need the following info to port your number to PM

2a.  Your old provider account number

2b.  Your number to be ported to PM

2c.  The name shown exactly on your old account statement

@newbie07 wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@newbie07 wrote:

What providers are we talking about? Prepaid or postpaid? Are you sure that that is a porting fee and not an activation fee, which most postpaid providers charge?

As @ShawnC13 mentioned, no hidden extra charges, ever, with this prepaid carrier.

newbie07

I'm not on a contract or owe any money so I should be fine. I will call to inquire about it thanks. 

Dunkgirl

@newbie07 wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@newbie07 wrote:

@newbie07  Public mobile is pay before only. There is no pay after here. You pay upfront for everything. There will be NO charges from public mobile to transfer in a number. Just as I said, your old provider may charge you but its unlikely. Your old provider may also charge you for an early contract breaking if you have one, that can also be getting a "free" phone with a term that is ended early. Once again not any charges by public mobile. Old providers can also prevent the number being transfered if the account is not in good standing, you owe any money or the account is not currently active.

Remember not to cancel any old provider accounts. It will be done automatically on number transfer completion.

newbie07

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@newbie07 wrote:

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@newbie07 wrote:

There is no fee at all.  You can activate with Public taking a temporary number at activation and once you make sure all is up and running correctly, just log into your self serve and select change number and you can port in your number from your previous provider.  Your account must remain active at your previous provider until you port over your number.  That will close your account there.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@newbie07 wrote:

No extra fees for changing numbers which are allowed once every 30 days, nor for porting in your previous number.  Plans are prepaid so no overages either.

Dunkgirl

@newbie07 wrote:

@newbie07There is no charge from public mobile to bring your old number. However, your old provider may charge you, this is rare but some companies, like voip numbers or companies that you have been with for a very short amount of time may charge you, this is to prevent you from joining them for a specific number then leaving (just to get there number) contact them to find out.

Need Help? Let's chat.