cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just signed up - data not working

delrey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi so i just signed up less than 2 hours ago. my phone is working such as texts and voicecalls.  however..i cannot connect to the internet. i have turned my cellular on under settings.  i have an iphone 4. can someone help??

13 REPLIES 13

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Naternore wrote:

I used the APN unlock it website and then rebooted my iPhone 4s and it works great!

You only need to do this if you have an older iPhone like yours. Most Current iPhones since about 2013/14 auto configure when you insert a sim from a new carrier. 

Naternore

I used the APN unlock it website and then rebooted my iPhone 4s and it works great!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@delrey wrote:

You are awesome my friend !! Thank you so much. It works. So relieved I don't have to get a new phone 😄 I know I'm overdue for one...but for now..this oldie will do.

@delrey glad I could help!  This is a known issue with certain iPhone models such as yours, and it's @CalgaryBen that is awesome, his write-up is fantastic.

@RossN wrote:

@srlawren  good find you may have saved the day!!

@RossN it's just a matter of having been around here for a long time and seen a lot of different issues and drawing on that past experience.  Sorry for calling out your response, but it's a good reminder to try not to jump to conclusions prematurely whenever possible.  Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

delrey

You are awesome my friend !! Thank you so much. It works. So relieved I don't have to get a new phone 😄 I know I'm overdue for one...but for now..this oldie will do.

@srlawren  good find you may have saved the day!!

srlawren

@RossN wrote:

@delrey sometimes you have to bite the bullet my friendSmiley Sad

@RossN no need to replace the hardware (yet).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@delrey although they meant well, the previous responses were incorrect;  iPhone 4 requires some special procedures, detailed here courtesy of @CalgaryBen :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight...

EDIT: fixed my unintendedly rude reply!  Thanks for the heads up, @Anonymous 

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@delrey wrote:

Hi so i just signed up less than 2 hours ago. my phone is working such as texts and voicecalls.  however..i cannot connect to the internet. i have turned my cellular on under settings.  i have an iphone 4. can someone help??

Have you tried adjusting your APN? I believe you can do that on the iPhone 4

Iphone

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

Name: Public Mobile / Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

@delrey You will probably be able to get data reception in some areas, but depending on where you live it may be hard to find. As I said, most PM data uses the LTE network, when plans say it's 3G data it's actually LTE data that is throttled to 3G speeds.

@delrey sometimes you have to bite the bullet my friendSmiley Sad

delrey

so i just checked my phone compatiblity and my model is A1332 3G.  It is compatible it says. I really dont want to get a new phone. whole purpose of switching plan is to save $$..not spend more. urgh..

Thanks for the replies

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@delreyDepending on which model you have it may not be compatible, if you have a A1349 CDMA it is not compatible with Public Mobile data at all, if you have a A1332 it is partially compatible with 3G. Most PM data uses throttled LTE, not actual 3G, so you are going to be limited on where you will get data reception. You can look at www.willmyphonework.net/ for more details.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@delrey wrote:

It will be difficult with a iphone 4...already read here some people tried and failed...good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.