cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 15 Emergency Satellite SOS feature

corporatei-2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does Public Mobile support this iPhone 15 Emergency Satellite SOS feature?

On the Apple website, it is offered for free for 2 years.  After 2 years, I have to reach out to my carrier to see how much they charge to continue to use the Satellite SOS feature.

3 REPLIES 3

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So I did some more digging I think the only thing you have to confirm with your carrier is what emergency numbers they support as this whole process relies on you attempting to call 911 and then if there is no signal then it uses the Satellite to contact them for you. Given that Public Mobile only works in Canada and the US (with a roaming add-on or Can-US plan), we would only be able to use this service in Canada or the US. If you’re traveling elsewhere I’d imagine you’d have a local sim or travel esim that would then give you support to use this service in the region you are traveling in. 

corporatei-2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So Apple gave me wrong information, as to contact the carrier of choice if they support or not.  I did asked them how the Emergency Satellite is routed.  They say it connects directly to Vancouver 911.  I don't know if they gave me the right information or not.

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@corporatei-2 

This feature doesn’t use your carriers service at all as it’s using Apple (Globalstar and possible Starlink in future) satellites in order to contact emergency services. After the two years I imagine you’ll just have to pay Apple to extend usage of this capability. This capability has only been out for a year with the iPhone 14 and two years is included with your phone purchase so next year is when we’ll hear more details about cost I’d imagine

Need Help? Let's chat.