cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 16 Update No Service or SOS Only

GooseMonkey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone else updated their iPhones to iOS 16.0.2 and then lose the ability to make/receive calls? Did that on my iPhone Xs last night and then BAM, I can't make/receive calls. All I get is "SOS Only" or "No Service". Everything else works except for calls and data.

I've tried the following and nothing works:

Turn on/off Airplane mode

Turn on/off data

Took out/re-insert SIM

Press volume up, volume down, then held the power button to power off/on the phone

Reset Network settings

Reset ALL settings after erasing all data

Reset the iPhone itself

Downgrade to older iOS

Neither the forums or the University of Youtube solutions work. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

@GooseMonkey   happy that it works

I guess you didn't copy down the carrier profile version?  I wonder if you got a new one , and maybe it requires a reboot, too

GooseMonkey

Well, not sure what happened. But I kept the phone on all day yesterday and on wifi so I could continue to get work emails at least. Up until I went to bed last night, I still couldn't make/receive any calls. However, just now on a whim I powered down the phone and put the SIM back in. BAM! It started working again.

@GooseMonkey 

You might want to bring it into a Apple Genius store if there is one near you or the Apple Support app.

If it is showing SOS only then the iPhone is not reading the SIM.

@GooseMonkey   and did you get your phone from trusted source llike Apple or Carrier? 

I suggest you to check if your phone is clean, just in case:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

@GooseMonkey   Someone said 16.0.2 is buggy

try to Reset all network once and see if it works

Also, try to put your sim card in another phone, just to make sure  if it is an account/sim card issue or phone

GooseMonkey

Yup. As I mentioned, I tried all of your suggestions. No joy.

GooseMonkey

Account was just renewed in back on the 14th. Tried the carrier update but there is no update.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@GooseMonkey  - Try this..Google said:

"iOS 16's Emergency SOS lets you call for assistance if you need it. Either hold the side button and a volume button or press the side button five times in a row. "

https://www.dnaindia.com/technology/report-sos-only-on-apple-ios-16-what-does-it-mean-know-how-to-di...

edit, I should have explained...perhaps some buttons were pushed in error. See the above article for reference.

Or try to perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

@GooseMonkey 

is your PM account in good standing? did you renew recently? have you tried using someone else's sim in your iPhone to see if it works?

I see on your list you haven't tried a carrier update

1. Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.

GooseMonkey

It's the complete opposite for me. The apps load surprisingly fast but that doesn't do much for me since I can't makes/receive calls or use data once I'm out of the house.

GooseMonkey

Not that I'm aware of. I was transferring some music from my iTunes when the message popped up and asked if I wanted to update to the new iOS. Since I already backed up all my data, I figured it should be fine. I was dead wrong.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@GooseMonkey 

No issues with calling and texting on the public version iOS 16.0.2.

Only issue I have is apps takes longer to open.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@GooseMonkey   is that a beta version?  There was issue couple months ago with Beta version.  Apparently, there was a problem with the Carrier profile with the beta version back then and people have to roll back to old version or wait for the new beta version to fix that.  

But not sure about this one

Need Help? Let's chat.