Does public mobile offers eSim?

14 REPLIES 14

hoyjoygang
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Now they do @aranade1!

pavalavel21

Yes bro, I know.

But is there a way to reach out to them to see what's their plan on this?

Been with PM for 3 years now, never had a reason to reach out to PM.

But at this point an official announcement would be great, I can decide whether to stay or leave.

@pavalavel21 wrote:

Ok Almost on Q4 2022, what's the plan PM has for esim? Nobody knows, but the answer we see in this forum is always 'NO' / 'Not now'.

I think it's time for PM to get the esim functionality.

Brands like Apple and Google are already producing phones with esim.

Best part is 2022 Iphone 14 US variant doesn't have a physical SIM slot, it's dual eSIMs.

So, next year's version could have the same in Canada. People will be forced to move out of PM.

Does PM even care about this? 

Public Mobile has not announced anything about eSIM cards.  Anything discussed about eSIM at Public Mobile at this time would be speculation.

pavalavel21

Ok Almost on Q4 2022, what's the plan PM has for esim? Nobody knows, but the answer we see in this forum is always 'NO' / 'Not now'.

I think it's time for PM to get the esim functionality.

Brands like Apple and Google are already producing phones with esim.

Best part is 2022 Iphone 14 US variant doesn't have a physical SIM slot, it's dual eSIMs.

So, next year's version could have the same in Canada. People will be forced to move out of PM.

Does PM even care about this? 

sal11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

they removed it....

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I think physical sim should stay.  

I agree all  phone should also have eSIm,but hopefully that does not mean they have to remove physical sim slot completely.

Without physical sim card, You loss the convenience of easily switching sim card from one phone to another.  This could be very helpful in troubleshooting 

From what it see, it is best to have your primary service on physical sim and leave the travel sim as eSIm...

@WoozyPolarBear 

Not ranting as much as you are, lol.

And I'm not trying to shoot down eSIMs or suggest that eSIMs are bad, etc. eSIMs do have certain technical advantages vs SIM cards ... but those technical advantages are being ignored in favour of eSIMs being a marketing gimmick.

A SIM card slot is essentially a chip socket, and manufacturers can buy chip sockets (in bulk) for less than $0.15 per unit - so I hardly think it's going to really "save them money" on a $$$-$$$$ smartphone. The internal volume occupied by SIM card slots is equally insignificant in a pocket-sized device, overall, replacing it with an embedded logic chip isn't going to make these devices any slimmer and smaller in practice. eSIMs would do away with physical slots, which means better water-resistance and dust-resistance on sealed and ruggedized devices, though these tend to be a niche market.

I am arguing that, as far as I can see, there is no practical reason for BYOD operators like PM to abandon SIM cards. Because - as we've both said - eSIMs have great appeal to consumers who buy a new phone frequently. But PM is not in the business of selling new phones.

That seems to only underscore my position that eSIMs are largely being leveraged as part of the hype which sells new phones, that their real value is being entirely ignored, that their perceived value is being greatly exaggerated. I invite you to convince me otherwise.

Can you provide some hard sources for your claims? Can you provide a compelling reason - a real advantage - that eSIMs would offer PM and PM subscribers, something they can't get or can't do with SIM cards? I can't verify that eSIMs are scheduled/promised to replace SIM cards in iPhones/Galaxies. I can't verify that the EU has mandated any eSIM requirements.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=esim+eu+mandate&ia=web

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sim Card slot removal would save them money on needing fewer components and also saves space inside the device, and that is quite a limitation. As for you rant about consumers not wanting the newest phone, get real, people will always upgrade every few years, and hold onto your junk...most people do get new phones on subsidized phone plans from carriers. Deny it all you want, but just because you buy your phone outright, doesn't mean the majority of mainstream phone customers do. And FWIW, the EU has already MANDATED eSim in all new phones starting in 2025.

I'm sure Public Mobile will do it when they have to do it.

But I'm not so sure they'll ever have to do it.

They'll stick with SIM cards as long as all the phones on the market can still use SIM cards.

As to what Apple and Samsung promise or what Apple and Samsung customers expect Apple and Samsung will do in coming years ... it's all hype, it's always hype, that's how they sell their products, have millions of people lining up to buy months before product launch.

They do deliver on the hype, usually, eventually. But they disappoint or change direction just as often.

The flagship OEMs aren't going to make their devices eSIM-only if their consumers will have too few options. The days of getting the latest-and-greatest iPhone/Galaxy from exclusive contracts with exclusive carriers are gone, there's too many other ways to buy those phones and too many buyers will be dissatisfied with a device which is essentially vendor-locked away from the carriers they prefer.

And they've become cautious about removing features now. People still complain about losing their headphone jack years ago, they'll complain about losing that SIM slot for years to come. You might or might not think it's unimportant, but the people in charge of marketing and advertising are deeply concerned about anything with tarnishes consumer perceptions of their brands.

What would Apple or Samsung possibly gain from removing the SIM card slot? No dependency on a new app or new thingy on their cloud or new accessory or new hardware. So I doubt they're going to rush this move until they can figure out a way to create revenue from it.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

iPhones and Samsung Galaxy's are about 2-3 years away from fully transitioning to eSim only devices. Eventually, Public Mobile will have to get on board of this technology.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Why would it be necessary to have eSIM?

As far as I know, every phone with eSIM also has a SIM card slot.

As far as I know, there are no eSIMs on the market which cost less than a $10 $5 Public Mobile SIM card.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@aranade1   no eSIM at the moment and no news for that either

PM , like Lucky and Chatr, is just Tier 3 provider.  out of these three Tier 3 , only Lucky offer the use of eSIM.   If you need it absolutely, you will need to check with Lucky or other Tier 2 or Tier 1 providers

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@aranade1 

public mobile not support eSIM but you can go to telus or koodo.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aranade1 hi no sorry no esim at this time 

Need Help? Let's chat.