cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM vs SIM?

Rodolfo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I travel out of country for work sometimes so an esim is tempting but I am concerned that if I switch phones that eversafe 2fa (ugh) will not work and will not allow me to switch 

has anyone had personal experience with switching devices while using PM esim?

5 REPLIES 5

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Esim at PM is still not in as mature of a state as I'd like, so my vote is physical sim. Esim is finally available for existing customers, but there is no option to transfer it between phones at this time, which means paying for a new one with every device change. They'll eventually improve that, but for now it is what it is.

2FA is not impacted by whether you have an e-sim or a physical sim. Outside of Canada and the US you won't be able to receive text messages on PM, period.

I might suggest a physical sim for your PM service and then a travel esim for secondary line, if needed. If you do buy a physical sim, don't buy it direct from the PM website as it's very slow! You're better off to find a local retailer or buy direct from Amazon (Amazon is your cheapest option right now).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/get-a-sim-card

Public Mobile Prepaid SIM Prepaid Phone - (Universal/SmartPhones), Packaging May Vary https://a.co/d/h8VK0rh

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Rodolfo , 2FA is for access to your My Account online account and/or Community account. Only one email address can be associated with one subscription. So, if you are talking about switching from a physical SIM to an eSIM, you'll just want to be sure to install the eSIM on the phone that you plan to use with your existing Public Mobile subscription. Once the eSIM is installed on your phone, it cannot be transferred to another phone (at least that's not possible in iOS or Android at the moment, but will be coming in the future). If you later needed to move your eSIM to another device, you would have to purchase a new eSIM. Keep in mind, however, that most devices support installation of more than one eSIM, so if your phone supports it, you could have a Public Mobile eSIM installed and an eSIM from, for example, a European service provider. You can toggle installed eSIMs on and off, or if your device supports dual eSIM, have two active with one on standby. Hope this helps.

Ish_74

Me person i haven't had any issue with the overall e-sim is a great addition to the various amount of features PM carries

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Rodolfo wrote:

I travel out of country for work sometimes so an esim is tempting but I am concerned that if I switch phones that eversafe 2fa (ugh) will not work and will not allow me to switch 

has anyone had personal experience with switching devices while using PM esim?

@Rodolfo , I was using an iPhone 6s with a SIM Card & once eSIM was available recently I downloaded the Public Mobile app on my iPhone 14 Pro & purchased the eSIM on it which installed & set up flawlessly for me however not everyone has had that same experience as me! Some it has turned out horribly wrong! I don’t feel comfortable enough stating that you will have the same luck as I did! Sorry. 

Edit: Here is the process I took to install it on my phone:

For Existing Customers:

1. In the Public Mobile app on your Phone go to ‘Subscription & Add-ons’ page in your account to purchase an eSIM. I scrolled down & selected ‘Shop SIM CARD NOW’ then under ‘SELECT SIM CARD TYPE’ select ‘eSIM’ then select ‘PAY NOW’, (I purchased the eSIM using my available balance from points that I redeemed).
  2. Please keep in mind to be patient when installing it, it takes time. Follow the instructions it gives you during this process! After it says on your Phone’s screen that it installed successfully reboot your Phone. ‘With your Phone turned off remove your SIM Card from your Phone’. As an extra measure I reset my Phone’s network settings.
  3. In cellular settings make sure that “ Turn On This Line “ (for iPhone ) is selected. (I am not positive where the setting is on a different phone to turn it on, possibly ‘Turn on your eSIM under Mobile Network’)

I received an email notifying me that my SIM Card changed.

‘I can not stress this enough… please be patient when installing the eSIM’.

Rodolfo

Ok but will 2fa lock me out of my account?

Need Help? Let's chat.