cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download

cm41
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

• I keeping getting a notification that an app needs to be updated.  It's for "bookings com" and that is not an app that I have, nor does it come from Google Play.  It's not on my apps list and I cannot find it on my phone but I'd sure like to get rid of it. I'm afraid I'll click it accidentally and download it.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@cm41 

yes I wouldn't take any chances and factory reset the device asap. emails should be automatically saved on its server. for your contacts, photos etc. there is a sync option on your device. what's the make and model? 

cm41

I just double checked the screenshot that I took of it and it comes in as App Updates then Apps to install (1) Bookings.Com

Possibly it is only trying to download but I'll have to do a factory reset all the same.

cm41

Just comes in as a regular notification. Have not received a text or email.  I have never booked a hotel online either.

cm41

Thank you. I guess I'll have to try a factory reset but have never had to do that before. I'm a little concerned with losing emails, contacts, etc.

I just get a notification that bookings.com needs to be updated yet it's not an app.  Googling shows that alot of people have reported fraudulent visa charges from this site.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@cm41 

if you're getting a notification that an app needs to be updated then the virus has already been installed on the device. depending on how intrusive or how difficult it is to delete the virus it is better to purchase a new device. however, if that is not an option for you then you will need to back up all your important data and then factory reset the device. after the reset I would be picky and only install apps you trust then also observe their behaviour after it's installed. it could be a game with a hidden trigger that will install another app in the background that will then install the virus

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

How is it coming to you?  Email or text?

Google it. 😊

cm41

Any idea as to how I would block it? I can only close the notification when it comes in.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ignore it and block if possible. It’s spam

Need Help? Let's chat.