cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card hijacked or calls spyed on

Whyme23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have experienced high data usage and suspected somebody kidnapped my SIM. I am also missing text messages for authentication. I am afraid someone is impersonating me or using my number and recieve those messages to access my online accounts, such as Microsoft. Could I have tech support reset password for phone or SIM or other actions to address these?

7 REPLIES 7

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Recently there was a Mackenzie Financial data breach. When someone attempts to sign up for Transunion protection they are asked what is their current cell provider, Public Mobile is not listed as an option but Telus is.  It will fail if you select "none of the above".  Can we get clarification that Telus is the correct answer?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Whyme23 if someone sim jacked, you would have lost your PM service completely

Missing text message happens sometimes, it is not really new.  But it is not because simjacked but simply system problem.  It can be the source problem or it can be PM's problem.

I would say just based on missing text, you don't have to worry about your sim card being "kidnapped"

If you worry so much, change your My Account password frequently and change your sim card

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Whyme23 , based on your description, it would sound like you might have service issues perhaps but not SIM jack.  In order for a SIM jack incident to occur someone would need to take over your online account and replace the SIM card.  2FA would be needed for this to take place.  That would also mean having access to your email account to access 2FA.  If the account was taken over, you would not be able to access it anymore.  Moreover, your current SIM would be deactivated.  It would be hard for you to check usage on the account either via phone or online account.  Please provide further information so the community members can offer a more focused set of suggestions.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Whyme23  - please note we are all customers and members like you here on the forum, and have no access to your account. If this is an account issue and you need assistance from CSA, see link below.

You just created your Community account so, does this mean you have been a customer for a while and have never registered for a online My Account? If so, you can submit a ticket here to: Create My Account or forgot My Account email or password link

Once you log into My Account this is where @BKNS27  is suggesting you check the SIM card number under the PROFILE tab to see that it matches the actual SIM card in your phone. If it does, I don't believe you have been SIM-Jacked.

If the numbers do not match:

1-Let the Customer Support Agents (CSA) know about this as well, submit a ticket here – to be connected to the Fraud Management Customer Support Agent (CSA) team who will be able to restore your original SIM card. 

2-Also recommended to contact your financial institutions to ensure your banking and credit card accounts have not been accessed and checking your social media accounts for any suspicious activity. Make sure you change your passwords to these accounts immediately. 

3-You may also want to report the fraud to your local police and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, as well as contact the two national credit bureaus to request a copy of your credit reports and place a fraud warning on your file (Equifax Canada Toll free:1-800-465-7166 and TransUnion Canada Toll free: 1-877-525-3823).

----------------------------

If no issue with your SIM card and all services are working fine for you, than you have issues with data usage?

Again, you can see your remaining data on your My Account in the overview section, ensure you click the circle arrow thingy to see latest information. You can also call 611 from your device to check remaining balances of data.

What makes you think your data is being used fraudulently?

Or, is it possible you are looking at the data usage directly from your device? Phones can be set up to warn of us when data has reached certain limits. But this means your start date needs to match your plan start date to be more accurate. Note, plans are 30 days here, not monthly. 

Also, check to see if your phone has a data limiter set on it, which will disable data usage altogether at a certain limit. Check for these settings and edit them or remove them.

Another issue you reported, your phone number being used elsewhere with Microsoft? Can you explain more about this issue? 

­­­Public Mobile Representatives customer support­­­ agents (CSA) are the only one that have access to your account, and can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Whyme23 wrote:

I have experienced high data usage and suspected somebody kidnapped my SIM. I am also missing text messages for authentication. I am afraid someone is impersonating me or using my number and recieve those messages to access my online accounts, such as Microsoft. Could I have tech support reset password for phone or SIM or other actions to address these?

Login your self service account using incognito or private mode by laptop not by mobile, to change your phone number, but be caution if you have service Canada account which is not allow change phone number online. Buy a new sim card from Telus store is faster than from PM online and change sim card in your account when you get new sim card. PM can't change password on your phone, only you can change.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Whyme23 

Did you try calling or texting your number from another phone and see if anyone other than your that answers?

You can change the password & PIN in your own account by login to your account. Also check if the SIM number match on your account with the SIM number in your phone.

Any strange activities on your CC or financial accounts?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

But do the services work on your phone? Talk/text/data? Are you using an iphone?

Can you log in to your account? You can change the password yourself. Perhaps change the password of the registered email address. If iphone, perhaps change passwords for Apple ID.

Need Help? Let's chat.