cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data not working

robics
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I registered and paid for the data plan yesterday, but the phone keeps telling me I'm not subscribed to a data plan.  I did set the APN to sp.mb.com and restarted the phone

I'm using and iPhone 4S.  Any ideas on how to solve this?   thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

robics

thanks everyone - going to that website and installing a profile which set the APN was the solution

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalgaryBen alwasy love your in-depth iOS assistance!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@robics wrote:

i had followed instructions from the other threads, my APN is set correctly.

My phone tells me “u r not subscribed to a cellular data service” when I go to Safari

The "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service / OK" dialog to me indicates you aren't getting a data connection (i.e. no IP address, which means APN isn't correct or you don't have a data plan -- the latter which I'll trust isn't applicable based on your subscription).  What evidence do you have that the APN is set correctly?  AFAIK, there's no way to view the currently set APN using the native tools in iOS 9.3.5, unfortunately.

The only possible confirmation is, if you went through the unlockit.co.nz tool, you would have an "Install Profile" screen, which has a Description of "Changes the APN to sp.mb.com".  On this screen you have to tap on "Install", after which you should see either a failure or success dialog.

Unfortunately most of my go-to tools for viewing cellular IP address are for iOS 10+, and the iPhone 4S was sunset with iOS 9.3.5.  But it definitely seems like this is where the issue lies (i.e. no IP address from PM, because APN isn't correct).

The question about updating the APN comes up enough that I'll try to go through the process and get some screen captures, and put it into a post at some point...

robics

thanks, I'll do that!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@robics wrote:

@CS_Agent

It would be more effective if you sent a private message to them.

Although they seem to be getting on top of things even to the point of monitoring the forum. But all they would do is ask you to send them a private message to identify you and your account. Don't provide personal information in this open forum.

robics

srlawren

@CalgaryBen, any thoughts here?  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

robics

Thanks for the replies!

i had followed instructions from the other threads, my APN is set correctly. My account status is active. My phone tells me “u r not subscribed to a cellular data service” when I go to Safari

mimmo

iPhone 4 need to use http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ to set up data.  There are full instructions in the community somewhere but could not find them from phone.

@robics

As stated above, you need to check your account status if you have access to your self service account.  Which plan?  Active versus suspended account.  

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/. Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile. After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

Some older models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.

Might also want to try network reset also.  

robics

It is showing the plan. But it says available funds 0 and it says i have a balance owing.

popping

@robics

Login to your self-serve account. 

Is the overview page showing the plan you had selected?

Need Help? Let's chat.