cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing phone number

mjdyck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!  I just registered with public mobile.  Because I was registered with PC Mobile, Public Mobile asked me to choose a new phone number, and that I could ask Public Mobile to get my old number transferred from PC Mobile to Public Mobile.  How does this happen?  How long does this take?

25 REPLIES 25

wrote:

I am trying to port my public mobile number and it isn't letting me. I want to keep my number from public mobile which is 289xxxxxxx and transfer it to another account. Is there anyone I can talk to that can help me with this. I sent a port request yesterday

Since you said that you want to port your number from Public Mobile to another carrier, you'll want to make sure that you have your Public Mobile account number available. In addition, you cannot port out your Public Mobile phone number while it is suspended.  You will need to first get your phone number active again.

Once your Public Mobile service is active again, it is your new carrier that handles all the details to get your phone number transfered.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The wait depends on the workload.  They handle things in the order they come in.  On-line only can be irritating at times, but so can waiting on hold for an hour, just to be disconnected as the support rep picks up your call.

NjelloRoxas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks mate. I sent a private message to moderator team about an hour ago. How long does it take to get a response? Cuz if this is the wait, I feel like this method of inquiry will take ages. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NjelloRoxas, You can only port an active number.  As @Luddite said, wait for the moderators to get back to you, to see what can be done.

NjelloRoxas

It is suspended as of yesterday will it not work? How can I port it without having to reactivate and pay for my plan. 

@NjelloRoxas Is your PM account still active? You cannot port-out a number from an inactive account.

There is no phone support; await the moderators. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No, there is no telephone support, unless you are on a legacy plan (from before Jan. xx, 2015).  All account level support is through moderators.

NjelloRoxas

Thanks for the info. It's not to another public mobile account it is to another provider. I private messaged a moderator so hopefully they can help me. There's no phone line I can call to get a quick response?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NjelloRoxas,Are you trying to port a Public Mobile number from one account to another account?  If so, i don't think you can do that.  Also, why do you want to transfer to another account in Public mobile?

Lastly, and for future reference, you should always start a new topic when you have a new question/issue.  That way your message wong lost at the end of an old thread.

NjelloRoxas

I am trying to port my public mobile number and it isn't letting me. I want to keep my number from public mobile which is 289xxxxxxx and transfer it to another account. Is there anyone I can talk to that can help me with this. I sent a port request yesterday and it isn't working. 

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your PC Mobile account still active?

If not and it has been deactivated for any reason (non-payment, told them to cancel as you were leaving, etc), then you will not be able to port your old number over.

mjdyck

Ok.  I tried Safari on wifi on my cell phone instead.  It doesn't let me get any further either.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mjdyck if you have tried everything and nothing works then you will have to send a private message to @CS_Agent. In your message to mod, please include:

- explanation of your issue

- your account number

- your new phone number

- your old phone number to be transferred. 

Unfortunately, the mods have gone home for the night so the earliest you will hear back from them is tomorrow morning. 

Thanks

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mjdyck did you try another browser such as chrome or safari?

mjdyck

yes, I cleared my browser history and cache.  It still doesn't allow me to go any further.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjdyck, just for fun, can you try again with a different browser, or the same browser in Private/Incognito mode.  Some times the browser's cache messes things up.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mjdyck did you try clearing your browser history and cache before trying again.

Or did your use another browser such as Safari or Chrome?

mjdyck

Ok.  When I go to my account.  Click on Change phone number.  It gives 2 options:

1-pick a new number

2-transfer a number

So I picked 2.  Then it asks for a phone number to check if it's eligible or not.  When I put in my number (existing cell phone number that I want to transfer from PC Mobile to Public Mobile), it says it doesn't work, and I can't get any further.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mjdyck can you please try clearing your browser's history and cache or try another browser such as Safari or Chrome?

Also please try just entering your PC mobile account number without dashes and the phone number that you want to transfer. Don't worry about entering the alternative number. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem @mjdyck.  With Public Mobile, each phone needs its own account.  So, I would wait until you get your PC Mobile number port completed, then, set up the next phone with a new account.  Be sure to enter the first phones phone number as a referring number when you set up the second account.  That way you will get a $1 referral bonus on the first account for as long as the second account is active with Public Mobile.  Once the seccond account is set up running with its ported number, then you start with the third one.  This time you can enter either of the first two numbers as the referring number (again to get the referral bonus).  Then, do the same for the last one.

Just remember to wait until you get your number ported before doing the next phone, since the referral information can only be enterred during account setup.  If you enter a referral number, and then change that number(by porting in a new number), then the referral bonus will be lost.

Hope that makes sense.

mjdyck

When I tried to put in a phone number to get eligibility, it wouldn't accept my old cell phone number.  It accepted the alternate phone number that I'd entered on my profile, which is my home phone number, and I don't want to change that one at all.

So I changed my alternate phone number on my profile to my old cell phone number (which I still want to keep), and then went back to change phone number.  When I entered that phone number to check eligibility, it refused to allow it.  So I feel a little stuck.  Thanks

mjdyck

Hi!  Once we figure this problem out and get my old phone number transferred from PC Mobile to Public Mobile, which it isn't figured out yet,  then I want to add 3 other phones to my account.  Would appreciate help knowing how to set that up.  Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjdyck, what exactly didn't work.  Were you unable to enter the details?  Was there an error message.  If there was no error, then you will need to give it some time to go through.  It could take a few minutes to up-to 48 hours(on the extreme end).

mjdyck

ok  Followed instructions, but that didn't work. I need more help.  Thanks!

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mjdyck if you log back into your account, under change phone number option, you should be able to see the option to transfer your old number from another service provider. 

When you transfer your number, you will need to enter your PC account number and phone number that you want to transfer. 

Once you complete the transfer request online, the transfer (porting) the number can take a couple of hours. 

Need Help? Let's chat.