cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

activate sim in iphone taking long time

TeriiPhone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have inserted new activated SIM card into iPhone XR but so far not cellualr.  It looks like the iPhone is searching for a cellular network, or something.  It is taking a long time.  What may I have done wrong?  Or is it normal to take many minutes/ an hour or more?

13 REPLIES 13

limited_user

If it does not connect within less than a minute their could be a problem. Make sure the phone is not carrier locked, try it in a different phone and make sure you are in an area that has service.

@TeriiPhone I am glad it worked out well for you 😀

TeriiPhone

Thank you all very much.  It turned out I was able to find another phone to try it in, and it worked immediately.  So then I put the SIM back into the new iPhone, and now it works there.  I have no idea why, maybe Public Mobile was having issues and they coincidentally resolved just as I swapped the SIM to the other phone??  Anyway all seems OK now.  A very frustrating experience but I really appreciate the Community.

Thanks again.

@TeriiPhone Hi you did all you could you 

need the help of a service rep maybe the phone is a dud anyway to get help or a refund

There are two ways to contact a customer service agent , open a ticket through Simon here https://publicmobile.ca

Or  private message them here you will see a reply top right corner in your community envelope 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@TeriiPhone wrote:

This morning I went through the SIM activation with credit card etc, and then created a new Public Mobile account.  From the account online all looks fine.  It says Account Status is Active.  Is there something more I need to do to activate the SIM in the phone?   There is no old SIM.

Okay, seems your sim card was activated since your account is Active.

@TeriiPhone  you said you go this phone from public mobile online?

Perhaps, just to make sure, check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Another phone to test the sim card in would be a good test, but if you don't have one and the phone is not blacklisted, perhaps contact CSA to check on your account and inquire about the phone (make sure it is unlocked, not blacklisted...).

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

edit, spelling

TeriiPhone

This morning I went through the SIM activation with credit card etc, and then created a new Public Mobile account.  From the account online all looks fine.  It says Account Status is Active.  Is there something more I need to do to activate the SIM in the phone?   There is no old SIM.

@TeriiPhone Hi so you bought it from public do you already have an account or did you just activate I ask because if you already have an account you would use your old sim or go into your account and change sim number

TeriiPhone

Well now after removing and reinserting SIM and power down and restarting iphone I notice the iphone says "No SIM card installed". What now?

TeriiPhone

This is a Public Mobile Certified Pre-Owned phone, so I have not owned since 'new' but assumed all should have been checked out by PM.

TeriiPhone

And no, I don't have another phone to try it in.

TeriiPhone

Before posting this I had tried removing and reinserting the SIM card and shutting down and restarting the iPhone.  The iPhone does not say "No SIM" but it has the little moving dots where the cell bars ought to be, as though it is searching?  I am certain the SIM is in the right way around.  After two tries it should be seated correctly but I will try again.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Have you owned the phone since new? Did it work somewhere before? Can you do a full power down and restart with the sim in and see if any messages show.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

Hi it shouldn’t take longer than a couple of minutes,try turning off your phone and reseating your SIM card see if that helps also do you Have another phone to try it in?

Need Help? Let's chat.