cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we see price reductions on data addons soon?

tamzid1999
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Both Lucky Mobile and Chatr offer data addon for much less than Public Mobile. Lucky offers 500MB for 10$ while chatr offers 200MB for 5$. Meanwhile, we are paying 10$ for 200MB. I need data addon for my talk&text plan but the prices are higher than the competitors.

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The other thing to consider is that over on the post-paid side of the [Canadian mobile telecom] world, prices for data overages (roughly but not precisely equivalent to data add-ons on the pre-paid side of the world] have been increasing in recent memory.  While 1 GB of data-add on at PM will run you $30, 1 GB of overage data at all/most of the 2nd and 1st tier brands on a post-paid plan currently runs $7 / 100MB which = $70 for 1 GB.  

The most important thing to note has already been alluded to here:  data is almost always noticably cheaper as part of your plan than as an add-on or overage charge.  You would be wise to look at the $30 and $35 plans mentioned as they will provide you excellent value, albeit without the "roll-over" (non-expiry) of the add-on options.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mimmo wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

You left out the worst part @bridonca

Remember dealing with Lucky is like selling your soul

It IS Bell after all Cat Mad

Haha

@bridonca wrote:

So there is no situation where a Lucky Mobile plan is better. 

@kav2001c  some people have the same feeling about telus or rogers 🙂

True, but bhell is one level lower.  They are devious enough to offer contracts that guarantee the discount not the total price.  Right after the contract is signed, they go and raise the base price and pass on the increase to everyone.  This is despicable.  

@kav2001c wrote:

Haha

@bridonca wrote:

+1.  The only redeeming quality from bhell is their mailbox spam is helpful to my negotiations with Rogers.  

mimmo

@kav2001c wrote:

Haha

@bridonca wrote:

@kav2001c  some people have the same feeling about telus or rogers 🙂

Haha

@bridonca wrote:

Hey why not

Public could offer a larger data pool of 3G data as an add-on

Maybe not as extreme as TBaytel

$15 for 1GB?

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In Lucky Mobile, the 500 MB add on is not available with the 50 Minutes Canada-Wide Calling Plan for $10.  So there is no situation where a Lucky Mobile plan is better. 

With Public Mobile, you can get unlimited global texts, unlimited Canada wide calling and 500 MB of data, that works anywhere in Canada for $30.  Chatr and Lucky Mobile offer nothing even close at that price point. 

What really sold me on Public Mobile is that I can change plans from the web site.  i can even schedule the plan change for the next billing cycle. 

pm was trying to raise price on old plan, doubt they will lower the addon cost anytime soon.

Who doesnt want to have lower data addon.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think the other posters have covered everything. Don't expect cheaper add ons but be hopefully Smiley Very Happy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have never bought into the concept of price matching, i.e., begging a retailer to get with the program and offer the same price as the competitor.  It is more work and do not always lead to success.  Why not take the path of least resistance and go with the one that offers the best value.  Retailers who are non competitive should be appropriately rewarded by customers. 

Having said that, Lucky and Chatr have zones.  You need to compare apples to apples.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tamzid1999 wrote:

Both Lucky Mobile and Chatr offer data addon for much less than Public Mobile. Lucky offers 500MB for 10$ while chatr offers 200MB for 5$. Meanwhile, we are paying 10$ for 200MB. I need data addon for my talk&text plan but the prices are higher than the competitors.

Public Mobile also has the 1GB add-on for $30, which means $3 per 100MB.

Which is not that different from the other carriers you mentioned (LM:  $2/100MB and ChatR $2.5/100MB)

mimmo

@tamzid1999  also if you chnage your plan to talk(provincial or canadawide)  + text +500 mb data/month you will pay $30/month

I think that is a significantly better than what lucky or chatr offer and as @NDesai mentioned you can get rewards with PM

mimmo

@tamzid1999 the nice thing about PM data addon is that  it does not expire each month, and you get full LTE speed since you are not on a 3g plan.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Both carrier you mentioned do not offer any rewards. So there is something better than the other. If you want the add-on, you will have to pay the price that is being offered.

Need Help? Let's chat.