cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are you here?

eJonavin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been with Public Mobile for a long time, for a decade it seems. While there are other options with maybe more features (wifi calling, international roaming, no hardware), and more support options (phone support, no loyalty department, etc..), I really like the no nonsense and simplicity of Public Mobile plans and affordability.

Despite promos from other carriers, what's kept me here was a sense of unique services that Public Mobile used to have. 

1. Simple and competitive plan choices
  2. very affordable US roaming options
  3. minutes and data that never expire
  4. annual data and minutes bonuses
  5. a reward program that is pretty generous to long time customers

In the past year I've noticed that everyone of these, with except maybe #1, has been eroded. It's no longer the obvious choice. I want to leave some constructive comments as I end my long term and once 4 line relationship with Public Mobile.

I don't want to turn this into a complain post, so please write about what makes things great at Public Mobile, in the past and in the future.

3 REPLIES 3

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

We started our first Public Mobile account in 2016. A lot / most of the stuff that drew us here is long gone or on the way out. At the high point I helped manage about two dozen accounts. After May there will be two or three left.

Here's my list, in random order:

- The infamous 120/12GB/90day plan was innovative and disrupting the then status quo in this industry.

- The plan builder was awesome - one could literally mix and match features according to ones needs.

- If the plan builder (or later the fixed plan line-up) didn't offer enough choice, throw in a non-expiring add-on. (fun fact: on one of plans we still have a couple dozen minutes of the original 400 international LD minutes left).

- Hardly took a bite out of them on all but the $10 lines, but the later data and LD minute freebies were great.

- Unparalleled rewards program... RIP

- The feature that I haven't seen anywhere else in this form, without penalty or extra cost: letting the plan go into suspension when you don't need it. Then, as long as it's less than 89 days of inactivity, just resume where you left off. Or change to a current in-market plan that fits your needs even better.

- Up to 2022 or so, Public Mobile was THE provider for simple low cost prepaid plans (as opposed to pay-as-you-go, which was ok for what it was, but often exceded the budget quite fast in unforseen circumstances). IMHO it was the best possible way for marginalized low income people to be reachable. Public Mobile has changed tack on that social side completely, unfortunately.

- With all it's flaws, I really appreciate the self serve approach. Having direct control over all your account details at your fingertips was a breath of fresh air. Too bad that we had to trade some functionalities (removing cc number without replacement?) for others (change of e-amil address?). Not a fan of EverSafe login, though. Too much hassle and glitches for only a marginal upgrade in security, IMO.

I understand that 5G and US plans are all the rage now, and that adding those features keeps Public Mobile competitive. But most of our accounts don't have access to 5G network and don't really need 250mbps on their cell phones, they will unlikely burn through 10GB, let alone 50 or 60... I also can't think of a single account in our group that would benefit from a US plan. We'd rather go for that $24/4GB plan, which, of course, is not available to us. Oh, and VoLTE - just make it available to any phone that supports it (with the disclaimer that you can't provide technical support to devices that weren't aquired through Telus channels, if that helps?) - it's again the low income people that are punished by this stupid whitelist.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I actually left for a Telus Black Friday EPP deal, but my wife and many others in my family are still here. The reasons I left were the lack of smart watch plans, and the hardware discount I couldn't say no to. I also like being able to roam beyond the US, and of course wifi calling is a nice bonus.

The reasons I stayed so long, and why I may come back one day:

1) Network coverage

2) Cheap US roaming

3) Plans have gotten significantly and progressively cheaper over the past year or so

4) Flexibility to change plans as often as I like

I'm okay that we had to trade in non-expiring data, holiday bonuses, and legacy rewards for VoLTE, cheaper plans with 5G, and accessible US roaming options.

Mohawk44
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Came when for the affordable Canada US plans. It's better then what others charge for a similar price plan. Might not be here much longer though if I can't get MMS to work on my Cubot King Kong 9.

Need Help? Let's chat.