cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when you cancel a number?

jlarocque96
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Does the number go back into the available choices?

What happens when you are activating a new line with public mobile and you do not select transfer old number. Do you get randomly assigned a number or can you choose. 

12 REPLIES 12

jlarocque96

This is great to know, I was wondering if there was a waiting period. Great info. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jlarocque96 wrote:

What happens when you are activating a new line with public mobile and you do not select transfer old number. Do you get randomly assigned a number or can you choose. 

You you cancel a number, that number will be going back to the provider who gave your your number.  For an example, if you get a number from PM when you activate your account, your number will be going back to Telus waiting pool for a number of months before that number will be recycled to be used again.  The canceled number is sitting in the waiting pool for a few months, hoping the friend and family of owner of the canceled number will know that the owner will no longer using that number.  This procedure is to preventing annoying calls from the friends and family to the new owner of the canceled number.

I would suspect cancelled numbers that are PM owned numbers would not show up as available right away but I don't know how long they try to keep them out of service for before reassignment.

AE_Collector

jlarocque96

@jlarocque96 wrote:

If the old number is with PM and it is canceled would it then be an available choice?

Only way to cancel it right away is to port it out to another provider.

OR let it suspend for 90 days or more.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@jlarocque96 wrote:

when you cancel a number, I was told that the number will go back to the original carrier who got it in the beginning.  i.e, a Rogers number might have ported  into PM, got cancelled.. it will go back to Rogers' pool.

as for new line with PM.. i think you might have a choice but I am not sure.  I was eager to port my old number and never ask.  but I know you can request another number from My Account after activation.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @jlarocque96 , you get a number option for the city you chose. I think you get a selection of the last 4 digits.

You are able to port in your previous providers phone number at any time, just best to keep it active or that previous number will not be available for your to port to PM.

If your PM account is suspended for 90 days or more you will lose that Public Mobile account and phone number. Then you will need a new SIM if you want to reactive your account and will need a new number.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@jlarocque96 wrote:

Does the number go back into the available choices?...goes back to wherever number originated if it was ported in.

What happens when you are activating a new line with public mobile and you do not select transfer old number. Do you get randomly assigned a number or can you choose. ....you can select from an array of numbers.

jlarocque96

If the old number is with PM and it is canceled would it then be an available choice?

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@jlarocque96 You get a new random number, but you can change it every 30 days via self-service account.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

First off it depends where the number came from...the original owner of the NPA-NNX (Area Code and Exchange). Numbers return to the operating company that owns it. Numbers could have been ported in to Public Mobile from other carriers. This likely takes quite awhile to happen and it is likely put in quarantine for awhile at least rather than instantly becoming available t one assigned again.

AE_Collector

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@jlarocque96 You will be asked to choose a new number. If your old number is with another provider, it will stay there based on their terms. If your old number is with PM, you cannot transfer it to another PM line. 

Need Help? Let's chat.