cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI vs Data while travelling international

VILS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I know I should know this but I can't quite get my head around it....I'll be travelling international (not the US) so I know I can't get a roaming plan with PM.   When I'm connected to wifi while out of country, will I be able to receive and respond to texts and emails?  Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Terryscell
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

While travelling to other countries, I have had success using:

WiFi at various locations like hotels, being sure to use a VPN, for email and browsing.

The free Fongo app, which gives you a Canadian phone number, and free calls to Canada. (!)

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

SMS text, no; but iMessage to other iPhone's or RCS between Android devices, maybe.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@VILS 

If you are out of country with Public Mobile you will not be able to text, make or receive calls and use data. You can use your email. However,  if you install WhatsApp and your contacts have that app too you will be able to text and make and receive calls when on wifi.  If in the US you will need add ons.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @VILS,

You will be able to access emails along with any other stuff you normally access online through WiFi. You will not be able to text or makes calls through the Public Mobile network though. If you need to call or text someone, you can do so through other WiFi apps like TextNow, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, etc. Otherwise, if you are not around WiFi, you can buy a local calling card in the country you are visiting.

Need Help? Let's chat.