cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice mail

gmparkins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I retrieve a message and try to get the time sent it is off by 16 hours.  The time on the phone is correct so don't understand how this is happening. Is it a sim problem?  

8 REPLIES 8

@gmparkins wrote:

Not solved. Have sent to moderator. So I guess they have not solved it for all 672 area codes

Hi @gmparkins good to hear that you finally reached out to the moderatos.  Here is a post from a fellow customer @bw0  with the same problem 

I contacted the moderators and my issue was resolved (in about a day). The announced timestamps are now in PST, as they should be for me. Indeed, the time zone for my number is incorrectly listed somewhere, though whether it's in a user level resource or somewhere of broader applicability, the moderator didn't say. He did say that it happens with these new numbers.

So possibly, UTC timestamp issue exists or existed only for me and a few others. Or the issue affects larger numbers of users (with 672 area code or maybe certain newer CO prefixes within 672 and elsewhere). The latter makes sense because in BC for instance a number of towns off the Rockies east slope are actually in MST time zone, and some use DST some don't; so in general the announced timestamp must depend on both area code and CO.

Anyway, for anyone who is getting wrong voice mail timestamps, I suggest you contact the moderators to fix.

Please keep us posted

Aloha

Rosie

gmparkins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not solved. Have sent to moderator. So I guess they have not solved it for all 672 area codes

bw0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@gmparkins 

If you are still monitoring this thread, please see also:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/voicemail-message-timestamp-how-to...
as mentioned in my previous reply, and try to play your voicemail messages again.

If your problem is fixed auto-magically, then you won't need to do anything. Otherwise, please contact the moderators to resolve. And it would be nice if you let us know the outcome. Thanks.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@gmparkins  Don't know the answer but most phones record numbers, including transfers to voicemail, in local time. Usage History in your account also shows time of calls/texts, but that may be Eastern time. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bw0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@gmparkins 

Do you have a 672 area code? If so, the announced timestamp is not 16 hours ahead as you may think, it is in fact 8 hours behind because it's UTC time (PST is UTC-8). At least that's what I think. It's confusing because the announced timestamp does not use dates, instead it uses days of week, the relative "yesterday", and silence!!! for "today". So one has to do mental arithmetic twice to figure out when that message was left.

I started a similar topic a couple of days ago
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/voicemail-message-timestamp-how-to...
and was just going to wait for a few more responses before I contact moderators, in case I've got something wrong on my end.

So it would definitely help if you would let us know what your area code is. Thanks.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@gmparkins wrote:

When I retrieve a message and try to get the time sent it is off by 16 hours.  The time on the phone is correct so don't understand how this is happening. Is it a sim problem?  

UTC would only by 8 hours ahead in BC, to 3.5 hours ahead in NFLD - not 16 Hmm... Anyhow, There was another recent thread where the theory was the voicemail system has not been updated to recognize some of the new area codes and their associated time zones like 672. Does your number fall under this scenario? I did just test from my 306 number, and voicemail timestamp was CST as expected...

Regardless - definitely raise the issue with the moderators - hopefully it will be resolved if enough people make noise. 😁

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

If voicemail timestamps are something important to you, and it's understandable they may be, ask the Moderators for an alternate explanation which may be more account-specific.

They may take a few days to respond - but they will.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click on the chat bubble in the lower right and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@gmparkins wrote:

It's been reported that the timestamp on voice message may be listed in UTC.

It's also been suggested that the timestamp on voice messages could be impacted by the time-zone the registered number is normally a part of [i.e. as would be the case if one registered a number on the West Coast, and lives on the East Coast]   OR   the physical location of the server where the voicemail storage is located.

Need Help? Let's chat.