cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on iPhone XR. New Subscription

Guzman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just subscribed to the $39/20 GB plan, moving over from Koodo. Both my wife and I have iPhone XRs. Since switching our phone call quality is terrible. Koodo had WiFi Calling, and I guess I didn't realize how much that helped. I read that new Public subscribers were supposed to have VoLTE enabled and the iPhone XR is on the list of devices. I am running iOS 16.5 but do not see that option on either phone. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help

9 REPLIES 9

Guzman

Thanks for the update. I did notice if I switch to 3G the signal improves a little bit. I am assuming the signal strength should be the same on Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile since it is the same company and all three would have access to the same towers.

@Guzman , I had to look yours up. I don’t think it’s 5G compatible! Maybe that’s why you don’t have it!

I just switched a couple months ago to an iPhone 14 Pro from a 6s I had for 7 years. The battery & so on just wasn’t good anymore! I no longer received updates! Yet iPhone still looked brand new! 😥. The signal on the new iPhone was just as horrible until recently with the 5G update! 

Guzman

What phone do you have?

@Guzman , I’m sorry 😕. I didn’t have the 5G setting on my phone until the latest software update! My signal used to be really bad. Dropped to 1 bar a lot! I kept getting missed calls. I wish I knew what would help. Sorry. 

I do agree though, I’ve complained about not having Wi-Fi Calling. I had it years ago with Rogers, then Koodo & recently with Fido!

Edit to update: @Guzman , I noticed today when I was out that nope my signal still sucks (drops to 1 bar) here all through town except in my apartment! In my apartment I have full 5G signal/bar, set on 5G Auto, LTE is very bad, drops to 1 bar!. Only 3G works better in town & I have VoLTE activated on my account! So, I apologize, I was very wrong & very disappointed!

Guzman

I don't have that option, only LTE and 3G.....I think it is because mine is a iPhone XR.....yours must newer. I think it is just a weak signal (one bar....SOMETIMES two) that WiFi Calling helped mask. I would rather stay with Public over Koodo. At first they wouldn't match, then after arguing the said $40 for 20 GB. I was going to take it but I like rewards program and e-sim. Oh well.....hopefully it improves

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Guzman , since you have the phone on the latest update 16.5 please set your phones to 5G Auto, reset network settings & reboot. Call each other if see if it’s better. Mine is much better now!

IMG_0020.jpegIMG_0021.jpegIMG_0019.jpeg

@Guzman  yes, Wifi Calling is now the main difference between Koodo and PM

If you want to keep saving money with PM, a workaround is to use VoIP app TextNow as a backup, in case you voice calls are really bad. TextNow work wells on Wifi (of course as well as on Mobile Data)

Guzman

Thank you for the quick reply.....it stays as LTE. Sure wish they had WiFi calling though :(.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Guzman   you are not missing anything.  PM and Telus will hide the option VoLTE on iPhone but the option is enabled  on the device by default

Just test this , before you make the call, make sure you see 4G or LTE on the phone status.  Then make the call and confirm you are still setting 4G or LTE and the signal didn't change to 3G.  If it stays as 4G/LTE, you are using VoLTE

Need Help? Let's chat.