cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOLTE enabling question (S20FE G-7810)

fx50fh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I have a s20fe that is not of the local Canadian model - which supports VOLTE unlike the one's in Canada. How should I go about enable VOLTE on my phone? thanks

22 REPLIES 22

@fx50fh sorry not something you can enable yourself

PM just started VoLTE in Feb.  Like most providers, when they first start will VoLTE, they start with a small list of VoLTE compatible devices and will expand the list as it goes. I guess we have to wait patiently for now.

fx51fh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

haha sorry, i all have 2345g in network modes. but what correlation does that have with the VoLTE troubles that I am having?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You can't just enable it yourself. The device needs to be enabled by the company. And you already have replies about where to find the evidence of it and no evidence means it's not enabled. My phone can also use volte from another provider but this company refuses to enable it. They are doing something non-standard, proprietary with allowing some devices to use volte.

Adding - oh, you see IMS in your settings? Just not registered? Since you found that place, keep it open and call 611 or something and see if the mobile network voice changes to UMTS or stays on LTE.

@fx51fh wrote:

4g, what does that mean?

@fx51fh relation to @fx50fh  ?

4G is the short name for fourth-generation wireless, the stage of broadband mobile communications that supersedes 3G (third-generation wireless) and is the predecessor of 5G (fifth-generation wireless).

On Android smartphones, go to settings > Network settings > mobile network. It should give you a dropdown menu of mobile standards such as 2G, 3G or LTE (4G). If you don't see 4G or LTE, then your smartphone doesn't support the standard

fx51fh

My IMS status is not registered, how do i go about with changing that?

fx51fh

4g, what does that mean?

fx51fh

no i do not, is there anything i can do with settings(maybe access points names) to change that?

@fx50fh wrote:

Hi all,

Received SMS this month from PM stating that my phone is not in a list of phone that supports VOLTE, even though the canadian model does support in Canada, as per @commputergeek 's post. Any fix? how can I convince PM that my phone is a S20FE?

Thanks

@fx50fh Go into your settings, about phone, status information, sim card status. Mobile Voice Network type. What does yours say?

Sorry @fx50fh   nothing much you can do.  

It is strictly a carrier choice what to include in its VoLTE system, even the phone itself is fully compatible. 

I think as we are closer to the shutdown of 3G (end of 2025), PM will expand the list.  For now, it is what it is

fx50fh

Hi all,

Received SMS this month from PM stating that my phone is not in a list of phone that supports VOLTE, even though the canadian model does support in Canada, as per @commputergeek 's post. Any fix? how can I convince PM that my phone is a S20FE?

Thanks

fx50fh

Canadian VoLTE in general is messy with its roll out

someone said it could be carrier software blocking the code.  One of the phones I tested and the code does not open is a Note 9 orginaially from Rogers

And this code wont work on non Snapdragon phones.  And it is true that this code does not work on another Exynos powered phone 

@softech- Is Spring 2020 too old? That code doesn't work for me.

@will13am   it might be the Android version or Samsung build, just checked, the S7 does not have such line too.  

Also the *# for the hidden menu seems working only on newer phone too

@softech wrote:

@will13am   S22, Canadian model

About phone->Status information->sim card status

Must be a Samsung thing.  Every android I have does not show IMS status there.  It is in the hidden menu.  

@will13am   S22, Canadian model

About phone->Status information->sim card status

@softech wrote:

@will13am   you meant you don't see it on your phone?

My Samsung phone has IMS registration status there

Really, what model?  

@will13am   you meant you don't see it on your phone?

My Samsung phone has IMS registration status there

@softech wrote:

@fx50fh 

did you get a text saying your account is now VoLTE enabled?

If you got the message, make sure you enabled VoLTE on your device (should be in the Connection or Data page on your phone)

And when you make calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are there

Also, you can confirm by checking the IMS registration, see if it is "registered".  You can likely find it under About -> Status -> Sim card status on your phone

Also, people would find checking voicemail from your phone a lot quicker with VoLTE, it will basically connect instantly while it will take couple seconds on 3G (as you phone would take time switching from LTE network to 3G network)

SIM status does not show IMS registration.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@fx50fh , I can confirm definitively the Canadian edition of the S20-FE 5G model will work with VoLTE when it is enabled in the account.  I have a suspicion that there might be some restrictions being imposed to limit models during the ongoing VoLTE rollout.  There are too many reports of calling issues and I am guessing that VoLTE compatibility is a potential causal factor.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@fx50fh 

did you get a text saying your account is now VoLTE enabled?

If you got the message, make sure you enabled VoLTE on your device (should be in the Connection or Data page on your phone)

And when you make calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are there

Also, you can confirm by checking the IMS registration, see if it is "registered".  You can likely find it under About -> Status -> Sim card status on your phone

Also, people would find checking voicemail from your phone a lot quicker with VoLTE, it will basically connect instantly while it will take couple seconds on 3G (as you phone would take time switching from LTE network to 3G network)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @fx50fh  do you see the VoLTE option under Connection, Mobile network?

Need Help? Let's chat.