cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using text message in Hong Kong

AcfWong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dear All,

In 2019 I went to China and found that my phone number cannot work there, because cannot connect to any local telephone network in China.

Could anyone know or had experience whether Public Mobile work with any local telephone company in Hong Kong to provide services for making phone calls in Hong Kong.  It should be free to receive/send text messages?? My plane is $15 plan. Of course, I understand that I need to prepaid for making phone calls before hand however, since free international text, presume that I should able to receive/send text messages for FREE in Hong Kong??

Thank you in advance for any member's input.

Best regards

14 REPLIES 14

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have used Whatsapp using WiFi and data here and WIfi abroad. Works perfect.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AcfWong There is no way you can receive text message in HK from PM network. If you really need it, you can download an app such as TextNow. You need to register a phone line under TextNow before you are heading to HK. Once you have the phone number from TextNow, you can receive text or calls from anyone from North America through internet.
You need to buy a SIM card in HK for local calls and with data. 
Hope that helps. 

@walker1 wrote:

@Anonymous 

Yes but if those APPs only work in the US  and Canada, how can they work in HK?   Hong Kong isn't in the US or Canada.

@walker1   most VoIP apps will work anywhere with Wifi or Data.  Fongo, TextNow will for sure work internationally.   Only small number of Voip app will geolock, I think Lucky Wifi Talk is one of them.

@darlicious wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

Except fongo....that also can use mobile data in addition to wifi.

Yes and I have tested my Zoiper voip  app and it too works with data. Probably most voip apps do work with data.  

I excluded mentioning because it appears OP may not want a Chinese plan at all or a Chinese plan with data. OP needs to see all options though......so absolutely a great and fantastic point to suggest. 😁😁

My Chinese SIL who has an apartment in Wuhan has been able to survive on Wi-Fi  with her iPhone, here and in China, just until a few months ago. Perhaps (trustable) Wi-Fi is more abundant there vs here in Canada. Free Wi-Fi is not trustable here.  

@CountyDownIeUk 

Except fongo....that also can use mobile data in addition to wifi.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@AcfWong wrote:

Dear All,

In 2019 I went to China and found that my phone number cannot work there, because cannot connect to any local telephone network in China.

Could anyone know or had experience whether Public Mobile work with any local telephone company in Hong Kong to provide services for making phone calls in Hong Kong.  It should be free to receive/send text messages?? My plane is $15 plan. Of course, I understand that I need to prepaid for making phone calls before hand however, since free international text, presume that I should able to receive/send text messages for FREE in Hong Kong??

Best regards

Everything you say or read about PM plans is based on you and your phone is physically   in Canada. The only other possible service is when you and your phone is located in the United States and you have purchased the appropriate USA add on.

If your phone is unlocked buy a prepaid plan in China. I imagine that you  could have bought a SIM at the airport.  Or get a voip app for calls.....but that restricts you to be on wifi to do so. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@AcfWong   Yes you can send and receive unlimited international texts but only whilst you're in Canada.

Outside of WIFI apps like Skype or Whatsapp, you'd be better off getting a local SIM.

@Anonymous 

Yes but if those APPs only work in the US  and Canada, how can they work in HK?   Hong Kong isn't in the US or Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@walker1 wrote:

@Anonymous 

Can you please explain to me how to use those APPs in Hong Kong. I don't understand.

@walker1 

anywhere has wifi... Free..

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@AcfWong wrote:

Dear All,

Best regards

@AcfWong 

PM service doesn't work in Hong Kong.

Edit: For full service you'll need a local plan.

If you can live with some limited FREE service via voip app, Textnow allows you to send and receive text messages to a Canadian or an American number if you have wifi available. You'll only be able to call or text Canadian and US numbers, and not numbers outside the US or Canada.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AcfWong 

Public mobile will only work outside of Canada in the US if you purchase US roaming add ons. It is best to purchase a local sim in the area you are traveling to have service there are options to recieve pm calling when using wifi or a local sim cards mobile data.

Edit:

Spoiler

Options for your account and service....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Be sure to perform all call forwarding while in Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

@Anonymous 

Can you please explain to me how to use those APPs in Hong Kong. I don't understand.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AcfWong 

at public mobile offer service only in canada and US Roaming 10 day packages,

i suggest you to use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

Need Help? Let's chat.