cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my phone in Europe

James51
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am thinking of travelling to Europe. I am currently a Public Mobile subscriber and use an iPhone 6s Plus. What is your recommendation(s) for using my current phone and accessing talk, text and data while in Europe? Secondly, what are the steps, in order, that I will need to take when the time comes to travel? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Runningman1990
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Best solution is update your phone to anything above Iphone X (10).  Iphone 11 and up have esim. It makes life so much easier when you are traveling. You just purchase an esim from your Apple store, and you get data.  The data allow you to use Whats App, Facebook messenger, etc.  If you want to access to a telephone#, get a VOIP phone like Fongo - it is a VOIP # - then you will have a telephone to use. It is free to call any canadian #. I f you want to call any international #,  you just have to load it with world wide calling credit $ (- international calls with VOIP phone are usually 2-3 cents per minute).  We used this when we went to Europe last year - used it in Ireland and Italy. For the esim - we used either Nomad or Airalo. It cost me $25 with Nomad for 10g of data in Europe - was allowed to "hotspot" it to my laptop or tablet or my wife's phone.  Used the Fongo phone to call home for free, and used it call any of the international numbers at a rate of around 2-3 cents a minute. 

BilltyLam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you want to keep your current phone travelling to Europe, the another way is use Portable WiFi, so you can talk message thought apps, e.g. WhatsApp..

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@James51 

Since there is no eSIM in the iPhone 6S+.

Take the PM namo SIM out and put it in a ziplock bag so you won’t loss the SIM card. Keep it somewhere safe so you can remember where it is.
Purchase a local SIM in Europe or you can use WhatsApp or TextNow app for free calling and texting through wifi.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Further to @Dunkman comments, you might wish to leave your PM SIM card (if it's not an e-SIM) in Canada perhaps in another device where someone can access it should you NEED TO receive a 2FA code while travelling.

This way, you can take your device with you and utilize web-based calling/texting services or purchase a local area pre-paid SIM card and they can text you the 2FA code if you need it while traveling.

Just a thought.  🙂

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@James51 

Public mobile does not offer international country roaming (except for USA).  Your public mobile plan will not work in Europe at all.  

Many public mobile customers will purchase a domestic SIM card/service while traveling in foreign countries.  The hassle is the inability to receive 2FA texts from banks and other companies while traveling to your PM number. 

Need Help? Let's chat.