cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used up Data

ddebow
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

good morning  

i put my phone on a wireless charging pad ontop of my pc to charge and it used all my data up over night, 4gb in a week 2 times it was on the charge. just bought the charger a week ago, since the apple cord got chewed up by the kitties. 6 months with public  and never had this problem or data used up, or when i was with bell or rogers  never used up the data, what would my options be other than switching to another provider, if im going to be out of data if its charging next to the pc, might as well go back to rogers or bell

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

There was the little debacle last Xmas with the free data gift where it was consuming data way faster than normal. They hurriedly fixed it.

Until we see a flurry of posts here screaming about consumed data...I say phone.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@ddebow 

It is your phone setup

If the source of data was Rogers or Bell or any other provider you would still have the same issue until you figure out what is consuming your data while it's charging wirelessly by the computer

If you check data usage you should see list if apps that used your data and they are ordered by the amount used, that may give clue to culprit.

Updates on data, tethering, WiFi hotspot and WiFi assist are always suspects

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ddebow does it tell you what apps used that data ? I suggest turning off data or powering down your phone during the night. Mabey someone elese was using your phone ? 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@ddebow wrote:

good morning  

i put my phone on a wireless charging pad ontop of my pc to charge and it used all my data up over night, 4gb in a week 2 times it was on the charge. just bought the charger a week ago, since the apple cord got chewed up by the kitties. 6 months with public  and never had this problem or data used up, or when i was with bell or rogers  never used up the data, what would my options be other than switching to another provider, if im going to be out of data if its charging next to the pc, might as well go back to rogers or bell

@ddebow I would ask the kitties what they where surfing 😂

ddebow
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

6 months no usage over 2g a month  within 7 days  2 days on wireless charging pad used 4g last night no updates nothing and it used 2.3gb over night

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I hardly think this was any fault of Public Mobile.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure you disable auto updates for apps and also turn off GPS.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ddebow , in terms of your control over data usage it is no different with any provider.  I am not sure why you think Public Mobile has anything to do with excessive usage.  I suggest checking the usage data on your phone to see which app is responsible for consuming the data and see what can be done about it.  

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ddebow Was mobile data turned on ? Where you place your phone on the wireless charger is there good wifi coverage there ? If not then your phone must've been using the mobile data overnight. I suggest powering down your phone completely overnight and letting it charge that way. Then in the morning power it back up again. 

Can you look at your Data usage in your phones settings app to see what apps are using the most Mobile Data ?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ddebow do you have mobile hotspot enabled? Thanks. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.