cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an iPhone 7 Rogers

Rasseru
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’ve had a broken iPhone 7 for a while that I got from a friend sometime this past summer. I recently decided to get it fixed and afterwards use it. However I realized that the phone is locked to Rogers. After going to their support I was told I needed an active or a cancelled account (within the last 12 months) to have it unlocked. My friend got it from a family friend and the account they had is now older than 12 months and there’s nothing they can do to help me (Rogers even told me to go find a 3rd party to do it, yet they couldn’t tell me any 3rd parties I could use). Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13

Bells Policy. 

If your account is in good standing, and if for some reason you wish to put your mobile device on another network, you can unlock your device from the Bell network at no charge. The information below explains eligibility requirements and how to complete the unlock process online.

Please note:

• Apple devices purchased after January 1st 2014, are already unlocked.
  • Devices purchased after November 30, 2017, are already unlocked.

Eligibility

Each of the following requirements must be met:

What you’ll need

To unlock your device, you’ll need to have the following on hand:

• The Bell device you wish to unlock
  • The device’s IMEI number (for how to find it, see instructions below)
  • An unlock code from Bell (for how to get it, see instructions below)
  • A non-Bell SIM card that fits the device

How to find your IMEI number

The IMEI is a unique number assigned to your device. To locate it:

• Phones: dial *#06# to get the number on your screen.
  • Apple iPads: go to Settings > General > About.
  • Android tablets: go to Applications > Settings > About tablet > Status.

How to obtain an unlock code from Bell

Once you have your IMEI number, you can obtain an unlock code by following a few simple steps in MyBell or by contacting us to speak to a customer service representative. After completing the unlock code request, you will receive a confirmation email from Bell. There is no fee to unlock your Bell device.

To obtain an unlock code in MyBell:

1. Go to the MyBell unlock device page.
  2. Enter your IMEI number.
  3. Follow the instructions to receive the unlock code.

What to do once you have an unlock code

Select your device manufacturer from the list below for simple instructions to complete the unlocking on your device.

Some devices display a confirmation message once the unlocking is complete, while some do not. If your device has been unlocked successfully, it will work with a SIM card from another provider.

@popping wrote:

@Rasseru 

The new CRTC rule says company cannot lock any phone sold to Canadian customer.  

Since your iPhone 7 was purchased in Canada from Rogers, Apple store will unlock your iPhone 7 if they can verify your iPhone 7 was sold in Canada by checking the IMEI number on your iPhone 7.

Quoted from CBC article

"As of Dec. 1 2017 cellphone customers can ask their provider to unlock their phones free of charge, the CRTC announced Thursday. At the same time, it said, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked."

Just to be clear Apple does NOT unlock phones. The carrier must do that!! Any phone bout at Apple was sold unlocked...and always was now and before 2017. 

There was no hassle to unlock an iPhone in 2017 until recently. 

I can't find it but I believe there was a revision of the policy that any locked iPhone will now only be unlocked by the ORIGINATING selling carrier IF the phone is under contract for at least 90 days. I would assume that  90 days as prepaid would work too.  

There is some one here.....forget who is was paid approx $17 to have a 3rd party unlock it in the USA and took a couple of days. 

Like I said....CRTC has overlooked the millions and millions of dollars that carriers charged in the past for unlocking fees. I recall paying $50 to Telus. They are in bed with the carriers!!!

Here is Rogers guidelines. https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/unlocking-devices

I would say they should unlock free....no hassle.....any one else??

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rasseru 

The new CRTC rule says company cannot lock any phone sold to Canadian customer.  

Since your iPhone 7 was purchased in Canada from Rogers, Apple store will unlock your iPhone 7 if they can verify your iPhone 7 was sold in Canada by checking the IMEI number on your iPhone 7.

I believe Rogers policy is 90 days of service to unlock. CRTC has changed the rules and slapped us in our faces, once again. 

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Rasseru wrote:

I’ve had a broken iPhone 7 for a while that I got from a friend sometime this past summer. I recently decided to get it fixed and afterwards use it. However I realized that the phone is locked to Rogers. After going to their support I was told I needed an active or a cancelled account (within the last 12 months) to have it unlocked. My friend got it from a family friend and the account they had is now older than 12 months and there’s nothing they can do to help me (Rogers even told me to go find a 3rd party to do it, yet they couldn’t tell me any 3rd parties I could use). Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated!

Get a friend to put active Rogers sim in. Make a phone call get friend to use it for a few minutes. Get the friend to ask Rogers to unlock. 

Have you tried the CHAT option with Rogers or a Rogers store/kiosks???

@Rasseru  Was looking at that sellers other options.

You may need this one below. But contact seller and ask them.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ROGERS-FIDO-UNLOCK-BY-IMEI-ALL-IPHONE-MODELS-4-5-SE-6-6-6S-6S-7-8-X-XR-Max-1...

This one is $9.55 and says "This service will unlock any iPhone, under contract or without contract"

Rasseru
Spoiler
Spoiler

I checked it and it’s 100% clean. I’m going to try the eBay 3rd party that was suggested to me.

@Rasseru wrote:

I’ve contacted them about 4 different times. One of which I was able to speak to a manager about it and he just read me their policy again...

Hi @Rasseru ,

Sorry to hear that. Seems ridiculous.

Are you sure the phone was not reported lost/stolen or was the previous account in poor standing?

Check here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Rasseru  $6 bucks eBay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FACTORY-ROGERS-UNLOCK-SERVICE-FOR-ROGERS-IPHONE-XS-XR-X-8-8-7-7-6-6-6S-UNLOC...

.REQUIREMENTS: 

- Only Clean devices are supported (not reported lost, stolen or Blacklisted).

- Your iPhone is simlocked to ROGERS. no refund for wrong imei or wrong carrier plz check before buying all 

They offer money back guarantee if they can't unlock provided the above requirements are met.

To be safe use PayPal.

Rasseru

I’ve contacted them about 4 different times. One of which I was able to speak to a manager about it and he just read me their policy again...

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Rasseru 

You can google online companies that will unlock your phone for a fee.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/04/21/rogers-fido-devices-unlocking-rules/

Rogers and Fido now requiring that only subscribers can unlock phones

Rogers and Fido are changing their device unlocking policy for customers who still have locked phones to ensure only people that are or where valid Rogers customers can unlock devices sold at by the carrier. This seems to be an effort to stop people from re-selling stolen phones unlocked through Rogers. The policy now states that you must be an active Rogers customer, or have been a Rogers customer in the past 12-months with no outstanding fees, to unlock your device. For example, this means that if you have an old iPhone from 2016 you bought from Rogers but haven’t unlocked since the Wireless Code went into effect, you’ll need to be a Rogers customer still or have left within the last year to do so. This change goes into effect on April 21st. Following this date, anyone who recently left Rogers’ network with a locked handset should take advantage of this now. To be clear, customers who purchased a phone from Rogers since 2017 when the Wireless Code went into effect don’t need to worry about this shift since their device was sold already unlocked.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Rogers and Fido now requiring that only subscribers can unlock phones

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Rasseru ,

Locked Phone? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you.

You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it.

EDIT - I would try calling them again, maybe someone different would help you.

Need Help? Let's chat.