cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a post-contract Rogers iPhone

meagerpie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello

Like many people around here at the moment, I am interesting in signing up for the current 4GB/m deal.

I have an iPhone 5C from a sibling. It was on Rogers, but their contract expired and they've moved to Telus. They did not unlock the phone. I took it to the Rogers store today with the sim card used during their contract, but the representative refused to unlock the phone, citing some "wireless code" that I can read online, and suggested that they would only unlock it after it had been on an active plan for 3 months.

Is this right? Is there no hope for me to get it unlocked at one of their stores?

I've heard that there are some online options, but haven't immediatly found a reputable one that was recently posted. Any ideas here if I can't get it locked directly from Rogers?

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

clavije
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

you have to ask you sibling to do the call to rogers the phone is in his/her name and only that person can request such service the payment can be done with a CC on the phone , i had the same problem with fido the phone was on my wife's name she had to talk to them and was done

chers

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire
This is why our entire wireless network in Canada is a joke (Except PM :). The lack of competition and proper regulation has a negative impact on all aspects of the wireless experience. On a recent trip to europe, it was cheaper to buy a SIM card there, and sign up for a monthly plan than it would have been to use my phone with the so called "roam like home" package offered by the red devil.

moonj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Right, that's ridiculous.

I don't know why this been allowed here. And Canada has the most expensive wireless plan prices in the world. In China all phones are unlocked and the government doesn't allow the carriers to lock them.

proplayer44

This is why I never buy my phones from the Telcos anymore unless it is rebated and has a gift card attached as well or something similar.  

mjs

That's a question to ask Rogers and all big telecom compnaies in Canada. They are allowed to charge a fee to unlock phones, even after a contract is fullfilled, because of the lack of regulation. 

But the problem is, I now own the phone.  I'm no longer leasing it.  You don't pay a department store to remove the security tag when you buy a new pair of jeans do you?  Why is a phone any different?

mjs

Unfortunately, big telecom companies will not provide the code for free. They all charge for the code, even when your contract expires. The rate that they charge is the same or similar.

In my mind, your sibling should have been immediately provided a code at no charge as the phone was heavily subsidized in their contract plan.  I think all carriers should unlock a fully paid for phone at no cost, whether it's on contract for 2 years, or outright purchase upfront.

mjs

No problem...good lock and I hope that you successfuly unlock your phone.

meagerpie

Thanks for the additional info mjs.

I wonder if anyone has had success doing this - having an iPhone unlocked from rogers through an expired contract?

It might take awhile, but I'll report back if I can get my sibling to reach out to them.

mjs

Yep, you have to call Rogers directly. If the phone is locked to Rogers, then it is linked to an account. If you got the phone from your brother, then they have to call and obtain the code. 

Phone unlocking is based on IMEI and serial numbers. So if you unlock with a 3rd party, it is very rare that the phone will lock back. Iphones, compared to other cellphones, are nasty when it comes to unlocking. Apple likes to make it hard for people to unlock phones and modify them. I used to have an iphone 4 and it was realy hard to unlock it through a 3rd party...That's why I don't have an iphone anymore. But generally speaking, you should be able to unlock it anywhere. I recommend you have the person who you got the phone from to call Rogers for the code. If not, having a 3rd party unlock it is still worth it. Cheers.

meagerpie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will make an attempt at contacting rogers over the phone, but will not be surprised if it gets me nowhere. I wonder if I might need my sibling to contact them about their expired contract. Can anyone veryify that they'll only unlock active accounts?

I actually do know someone with an active account at rogers, but they have an older iphone and hence a larger sim card. Does anyone know what the process is over the phone? Do you read them the IMEI number, or do they obtain it only through the phone connected to their network? If I could read them the IMEI, I could just tell them the code for the phone I want to unlock.

willwillwill

Trying calling into Rogers directly. I feel the people at the store aren't inclined to help. When I was with Rogers, I had my phone unlocked through calling them directly and not through the store.

Hope it works out!

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

i would go to one of the cell phone stores to unlock it ....

i think rogers only gives you unlock code if account is still active and not if already inactive..

but to be honest: paying for unlocking could potentially cost you more than finding an unlocked one on craigslist......i had the same problem with an iphone 4s ( they wanted 50.00+ to unlock it ) ...found one on craigslist for 30.00 unlocked .....

having said that: if you want to buy a used one all phones locked to TELUS,KOODO AND PC  will work as well with PM

MCWC

To add on to what mjs said. I believe if you are looking to unlock the phone directly through Rogers, there has to be an active account so they can charge the account the $50 fee. Easiest way to do so would be if you know someone with a Rogers account and same size SIM. They can pop the SIM into your phone and call Rogers to process the unlock and you pay that person instead. 

3rd party iPhone unlocks are usually more expensive and they do hold the risk of your phone being relocked back to Rogers again. Good luck!

Edit: Unlocking is done through customer service over the phone and not in stores which is why they told you they won't unlock it. With iPhones, there is no "code". The unlock is processed through their system and your phone will be unlocked.

meagerpie

Thanks for the reply mjs, but did you read my post? The representative at the rogers store today said they would not unlock the phone.

Regarding a private dealer, does anyone have suggestions?

mjs

Hi there,

You can get the unlock code directly from Rogers. The cost would be $50.

Or you can get your phone unlocked from a provate dealer. They are very common these days and you can find them everywhere, from online to malls. The cost would range from $20 to $50 depending on your phone and IMEI. I got mine unlocked at a kiosk at the mall and I paid $30.

Need Help? Let's chat.