cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Samsung Linx (T369) giving "Limited Service" message

jeremyesq
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi techies, need your help/input here.  So a basic smartphone (Moto E 2nd generation) is too much for my mom to handle, given that she only cares about making and receiving calls.  I have her on the promo plan so that I can use the Moto E as a hotspot when I go visit her!  I have decided to give her my old Fido Samsung T369 (known as the Linx) to use.  http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_t369-3928.php

Here is my dilemma...

I bought an unlock code from cellunlocker.net and successfully unlocked the phone.  I know it is unlocked because the phone now accepts and works with my Rogers SIM (which previously did NOT work with the phone).  When I insert the Public Mobile SIM (which is active and working in the Moto E), the phone boots up and goes to the home screen (prior to unlock, a non-Fido SIM would result in a "Wrong SIM" screen) ... but it says "Limited Service" in the area of the screen where the network name (ie. Public Mobile, Fido, Rogers) normally shows but the reception meter shows a full five bars.

I tried Googling the issue, and one suggestion was to do a "hard reset" ... however this did not solve the issue.  I did a "factory reset", same outcome.

I know that the phone should be compatible with the Public Mobile network since it is 2G/3G/4G/LTE Capable (850, 900, 1800, 1900 frequencies) as per https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9065#specs

I read someone else online (not sure if this is true or not) that the phone may be blocked from non-Rogers networks.  Does that make any sense?

I have contacted Fido through Twitter and am awaiting their reply.  I figure they may give me a hassle since I did not unlock the phone with them.

4 REPLIES 4

jeremyesq
OK ... just heard the same from Fido. Not the end of the world, just a $32 lesson learned since I should have asked first. Appreciate the both of you looking into it for me.

I wouldn't provide to much faith in that t-mobile spec page as I promise you that there just isn't any way Samsung would have made a non-smartphone back in the 2010 era that has LTE support.  

I am not even certain that this phone even supports 3g.  This model was made so long ago that I can't find any official information about possible 3g on any Samsung website.

Your phone is unlocked, but it still needs to be compatible with the network just you are trying to connect to.  Rogers isn't "blocking" it.

Make sure the phone isn't set to 2g only mode.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @jeremyesq;

Have some bad news for you, pretty sure your phone isn't compatible with PM. If you look at the specs in the gsmarena link you provided, you will only see 2G bands listed. This makes sense as to why it works on Fido, and now Rogers, as they still support a 2G network (for now). PM does not have any 2G deployed. Think the Limited Service is still coming from Rogers/Fido, believe they need to provide 911 service. 

As to the T-mobile link you found, think you are mis-interrupting what they are saying, as all the frequencies listed there are 2G. GSMarena lists this phone as having come out in 2010, so pretty sure it's highly unlikely that it would be 4G/LTE already back then.

Sorry for the bad news (and I could be wrong, but don't think so...) 

jeremyesq

grrrr ... Fido support replied to my message stating that the phone should work with all providers if it is unlocked.  Yes, I know that.  Maybe the phone was "semi-unlocked"??

Need Help? Let's chat.