cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Phones

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Mobile syrup posted an article on the CRTC's review of wireless code proceedings concerning unlocking fees.  This agenda is obviously self serving to Freedom Mobile given that they don't have access to selling iPhones.  This should also be of interest to Public Mobile and its customer given that there are no phones for sale here.  As a customer who totally endorses the business model of separating hardware from services, I am really happy to see this being brought up.  Hopefully, the CRTC will do something about this and help open up the cell phone market. 

Let's engage in a lively dicussion on this topic.  Anyone here against banning factory locked cell phone?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/02/08/freedom-mobile-crtc-do-away-with-unlocking-fees/

8 REPLIES 8

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In all honesty, right now the best deals on phones seem to be from Koodo.  Their actiation credit on signup doesn't get clawed back if you cancel, so you can buy a phone on a plan, port your number out as soon as your phone arrives, and have an instant discount.

FFL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Honestly recommend buying an unlocked phone as it's actually cheaper if you calculate it. If not, you can buy unlock codes off eBay and such which is usually cheaper. Just check seller's rating and if the code doesn't work, dispute through PayPal or eBay. Some cheaper phones (not the big brand name ones) have costed as little as $3.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I've learned over the years that the CRTC rulings are a two edged sword. The intentions are good for Canadians in general, but what results is carrier backlash in the form of price increases.

The carriers will not accept any change to their bottom line. If they are forced, they will make up the difference in other ways and come up with the most ridiculous excuses for them.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well, you know what'll happen if there are no more locked phones/unlocking fees: discounted devices will start disappearing.  Carriers will have zero incentive to offer subsidized devices if they can't lock you in for at least 3 months and disincentivize leaving with unlocking fees.  I'd love to see it, but the carriers are almost guaranteed to find a way to screw over the customers in the process (see also: contracts being limited to 2 years)

Noosh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Cell phone competition? In MY Ontario?!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that a carrier has actually brought this up. I was unaware that freedom had this stance (I was also unaware that their phones come unlocked?) I'm a northerner.. Freedom doesn't even have service up here.

I recently unlocked my phone with Rogers and after trying to haggle them to do it for free, I caved because I didn't want to shell out for a new phone and those mall booths charge 70 bucks here. But I've gotten their run arounds as to why their phones are locked: 'well it's to keep you loyal to us'. You already charge me out the ass to be on your network and use your data.

They're like crazy ex girlfriends..

I haven't followed the goings on of CRTC and I'm unsure of how well they'd follow through with this but it seems like a good idea. I'm tired so I may have misread they want t bring back 3 year plans? I mean, that's a way to keep someone loyal, be in debt to them so you can't afford to buy out and switch carriers? I feel like the 3 are always going to find a way around it.

Even the bloatware crap that Samsung has been producing, I think it's call SenseUI ??, is awful on the older devices.

I wish the Nexus devices would contine, but the inflatted prices over the years has made them unaffordable, and the Pixel branding on the new "stock android" is again just a money grab.

I agree that a direct purchased phone from anyone, carrier, department store, or manufacturer should be immediately available unlocked, and there should be no cost for doing so as the device should be separate from the service.

@Shutdown wrote:

It's a start, but the least they can do is allow you to uninstall the carrier bloatware and crap that screw up the phone. They should also not delay an android update once it's ready. Also even if they do this they will just increase the base price or something of the phone so it will end up actually not making a difference. It's best to just buy it directly from some OEM that sells directly in canada like samsung/apple/nexus/one plus.

I agree, the carriers can try to make back the money in a different way.  The stupid bloatware carriers add gets in the way of much needed software upgrades.  This tiny step is the thin edge of the wedge that will help to separate hardware sales from the service plans.

Personally, I avoid carrier phones for the noted issues.  I want to install security updates at my leisure and not when the carrier is good and ready to deliver them to me.  Tops on the list of phone features for me are unlockable bootloader and xda support.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's a start, but the least they can do is allow you to uninstall the carrier bloatware and crap that screw up the phone. They should also not delay an android update once it's ready. Also even if they do this they will just increase the base price or something of the phone so it will end up actually not making a difference. It's best to just buy it directly from some OEM that sells directly in canada like samsung/apple/nexus/one plus.

Need Help? Let's chat.