cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock

WYNONNA23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

According to this "If you have a device from outside the Telus family and you are wondering if it will work on the network, run its IMEI number through the network compatibility tool and verify the bands it can connect to"   if gives the impression that you can use a LOCKED device on this network.  I tried my Rogers IMEI and it said "ok" to use.  Does this mean I don't need to unlock it??  This is very misleading and confusing.  Please advise.

5 REPLIES 5

passiveegg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you got your phone before Dec of 2017 then your phone is still locked to rogers. What you can do is call rogers and give them the imei of the device and they will unlock it for you or give u a unlock code. Wish you the best

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

A lot of good support information has been provided already.  I just want to add that there's a knowledge base post covering checking phone compatibility.  I have noticed that many of the knowledge base posts have received recent refreshing.  We should endeavor to make full use of it at all times.  To the extent possible, awareness of information in the knowledge base should be elevated in these types of discussions.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WYNONNA23 You can call Rogers to confirm or using Live Chat. They can unlock your phone without any charges via Live Chat as well.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@WYNONNA23 wrote:

According to this "If you have a device from outside the Telus family and you are wondering if it will work on the network, run its IMEI number through the network compatibility tool and verify the bands it can connect to"   if gives the impression that you can use a LOCKED device on this network.  I tried my Rogers IMEI and it said "ok" to use.  Does this mean I don't need to unlock it??  This is very misleading and confusing.  Please advise.

@srlawren wrote:

FYI the IMEI checker on Public Mobile's site is very inaccurate for compatbility--it often gives false positives. check for compatibility using https://www.willmyphonework.net, and check for blacklisting using Public Mobile's IMEI checker.

@WYNONNA23 The tool tries to match up network compatibility not unlock status. You MAY be able to check unlock status directly on your phone depending on its model. Can you provide the model number / imei number?

Depending on who purchased the phone and when, you may also be able to contact rogers to have it unlocked for free. Also depending on your model there are free unlock tools and some paid unlock tools floating around on the internet also many other unlock services on kijiji. You can often find a seller on eBay that will provide you with unlock codes as well.

I have also had great success to bring your device to a mobile store, such as Koodo and ask them to try Koodo sim card in a rogers phone. If it works, you know 100% your phone is compatible and unlocked. (Since koodo/public mobile uses the same telus network).

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@WYNONNA23 wrote:

The IMEI checker only lets people know if the phone is lost or stolen and has given back false answers.  If you got your phone before Dec 2 of last year it is probably still locked to Rogers and you will need to contact them to have them unlock your phone so you can use it on the PM network

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.