cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive text messages for two-factor authentication

omarissa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I've been having issues receiving any texts for two factor authentication on any of my accounts that have this phone number. I recently  (Oct 9th) switched to Public Mobile and have been very happy with it aside from this issue.

My number was not changed when I switched to Public, so I should be receiving the authentication texts for things like my Google account or my Microsoft account at work but whenever I try to send the code to my phone, it never goes through. I never had this problem with my previous carrier so I'm wondering how to fix it.

My work requires two factor authentication for a number of my accounts there so this is urgent, as I've been unable to login to some of my work accounts for the past week or so. If I can't get this rectified soon, I will need to switch carriers again since I have to have a phone number that can receive authentication texts ASAP.

I also do not want to change my phone number, to be clear. I've had this one for almost 10 years now. Please help.

Thanks

Omar

6 REPLIES 6

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@omarissa 
It sounds like the porting was incomplete. 
Did you reply to the text with the old SIM in your phone to confirm you are porting over to PM?

The 2FA code could be sent to your old SIM if porting was not completed and the old SIM should still working.

If you missed this very important step, you will need to contact a CS_Agent to restart the porting process.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@omarissa 

2 factor from?

Mine works for credit unions and CRA. 

omarissa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I suspect that I've been missing calls as well as texts since the number porting as well, as I haven't gotten any since Oct 9th which is not completely unheard of for me but is still highly irregular. I will try all of these steps this evening and return with my findings. Thank you for the number you provided

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@omarissa   are you sure you are getting incoming calls?

System generated text could take up to a week for it to come after a number porting due to technical and security reason, but you have joined since Oct 9th, it has been over 12 days, so text should have came.  At least some if not all.

I suspect you are not even getting incoming calls and you are not aware of

Call yourself from another number and see if your PM phone rings or does it go to voicemail.  If it is voicemail, confirm if it is PM's voicemail or voicemail of your old provider

There is also a number to call to talk to someone and confirm if the porting was indeed completed, I will message you the phone number, please check your Community inbox.  Call that number and talk to live support to confirm

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Usually after porting number to PM it takes some time for (only) 2FA SMS to 'find' you. So please be patient and give it some more time.

RossN
Mayor / Maire
@omarissa hi when you switch providers it can take up to 10 days or more to start receiving your codes ,this is because thier security measures sense that something has changed , sometimes you need to contact them to update your account
Need Help? Let's chat.