cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USERNAME FOR LOGIN

raghavgururajan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello PM Community!

For self-serve account, I was wondering if it is good idea to separate email ID and login ID by using unique username for login that is decoupled from account's registered email address?

It can provide following benefits:

1) Ability to change login username without affecting account's registered email address.

2) Ability to change account's registered email address without affecting login username.

3) Ablity to use same username across self-serve and community portals, thus providing convenience not have to remember two different login IDs.

What you all think?

Regards,

RG.

8 REPLIES 8

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

But you can change your email address used associated with Community.  But would lose connectivity with awards to your phone number account. 

8A1E3512-0891-4497-9748-EA77C12F4D97.jpeg

raghavgururajan

@will13am 

With that said, I think it is a bad idea to have separate username/email as it is just more things to remember.  Because Public Mobile does not reveal the email address or PIN code for that matter in the account, it is just a nightmare situation that adds to moderator workload when customers forget/lose track of things. 

You are right. It makes sense. It is easy to track when email and username are not separated and same.

Thanks for your insights 🙂

@computergeek541 wrote:

@raghavgururajan wrote:

Hello PM Community!

For self-serve account, I was wondering if it is good idea to separate email ID and login ID by using unique username for login that is decoupled from account's registered email address?

1) Ability to change login username without affecting account's registered email address.

2) Ability to change account's registered email address without affecting login username.

3) Ablity to use same username across self-serve and community portals, thus providing convenience not have to remember two different login IDs

Sorry, but this isn't possible. Your self serve account login is your e-mail address.

This is only partially correct because of the funky issues with the self serve.  One could sign up using the intended email address for the account.  After sign up, just change the username to something else.  Because username changes do not change the email address, you now have the two separated. With that said, I think it is a bad idea to have separate username/email as it is just more things to remember.  Because Public Mobile does not reveal the email address or PIN code for that matter in the account, it is just a nightmare situation that adds to moderator workload when customers forget/lose track of things. 

PM Self-Serve account and PM Community account are separate things.

They can have different email addresses if you like. But they need same email address to link Self-Serve billing and Community Rewards. 

Community username must be public. Community email is not public (unless user changes setting). Self-Serve user information is not public. The PM Moderators (employees) do of course have access to all private user information.

You don't have any ability to change Community username - unless you can get the Mods to do it for you - although you can always create new Community accounts with different email addresses. And you can already use the same login for both portals - Community username can be your email address for both - it would then be visible to the public and if you don't want that then you'll have to change something anyhow, end result is different logins at different portals no matter how you do things. 

There isn't any real advantage to keeping them different, only you (and the PM Mods) could see the difference anyhow. If you're concerned about security, privacy, or anonymity then forget it anyways - smartphone, SIM, account, and service are already linked and logged and tracked when active, the best a tinfoil hat can do is use an anonymous email address, not volunteer any personal info, and pay offline with cash only (at random stores with phone turned off, haha) wherever possible. 

raghavgururajan

@computergeek541

I wouldn't expect this any time soon. I believe Public Mobile would be wise to fix what they already have before making changes.

Of course! It is actually a good practise to focus on maintenance before implementing any new features. I was Optimistic towards PM. 🙂

@raghavgururajan wrote:

@computergeek541 

Sorry, but this isn't possible. Your self serve account login is your e-mail address.

Thanks! I understand. I was sharing an idea so that it can be implemented by PM Web Developers in near future. Technically, this can be done by changing back-end architechture of PM's self-serve portal. 🙂

I wouldn't expect this any time soon. I believe Public Mobile would be wise to fix what they already have before making changes.

raghavgururajan

@computergeek541 

Thanks! I understand. I was sharing an idea so that it can be implemented by PM Web Developers in near future. Technically, this can be done by changing back-end architechture of PM's self-serve portal. 🙂

@raghavgururajan wrote:

Hello PM Community!

3) Ablity to use same username across self-serve and community portals, thus providing convenience not have to remember two different login IDs

Need Help? Let's chat.