cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming add-ons

Walt1473
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not a question, more a comment.  I travel to the US every winter for 3 months ( canadian snowbird). In previous years I have swapped out my PM sd card with a Verizon card.  This year I thought I would try using PM US roaming voice, text and data as the price is about the same and I would have the convenience of retaining my Canadian phone number. Good plan except for the following:

PM helpfully sends me a text message the day before my add-on expires to notify me that my add-on will expire the next day.  Great, except that there is nothing I can do about it.  I can’t renew until my add-on expires, then I can’t renew because my add-on expired!  Anyone remember the book “Catch 22”?   Simon the helpful moronic robot tells me that I need to use wifi  to renew my add-on. Anyone who has travelled in the US will know that wifi is not as ubiquitous as it is in Canada and when available is most likely an unsecured network. So PM is requiring me to search out wifi then provide private information on an open wifi network. It shouldn’t be a stretch for PM to provide early renewal or auto renewal of add-os should it?

6 REPLIES 6

@Walt1473  I'd say that it's more likely that Public Mobile would offering a roaming package with a longer duration than to fix this inconvenience. It took them years to fix the incominng  text meessage bug.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Walt1473 Agreed. It's time for PM to offer US add-ons with 10, 14 and 30 day durations. Otherwise you are better off using a US prepaid sim plans like Mint or Lycra Mobile.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Walt1473 wrote:

It shouldn’t be a stretch for PM to provide early renewal or auto renewal of add-os should it?

With PM being a prepaid service I don't think the add-ons should auto-renew. They are extras.  So if I was to purchase the roaming add-on and came back from the US I don't have to worry about it renewing whereas if it did auto-renew I would then have to remember to go back in and stop the renewal?  It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt1473 

If you have a registered payment card then you can re-purchase add-ons via the 611 service. Or 18554public...at a payphone no less :smileytongue:

But currently it seems you have to wait until the next day to re-buy. Or ask the moderators which might take that long anyway.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Can you have a family member go into your self service account in Canada to do the add on for you.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

We all fully agree with your implied suggestions...now if PM could just make this happen.

Need Help? Let's chat.