cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Data Roaming question

Andrews63
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I plan to go to the US shortly. I don't need to make any call being there. However, I will need the internet connection. 

Here is my question: is it OK, if I buy the DATA only add-on in order to be able to access the internet (GPS and other stuff), or I need to buy TALK + DATA bundle?  I am especially concerned by the GPS - not sure, if it will give my position, if I don't have any TALK plan .... Thank you for your help!

Andrew

5 REPLIES 5

Andrews63

Thank you guys! I truly appreciate your help! 😀

GPS is a whole other radio. You could go in to airplane mode and still use the GPS radio. It will show you your location on the offline map as you move.

As Yummy said, it's those things that need the internet for those kinds of live updates via the internet. But you can use the map with the GPS and find your way around without the internet.

And it was just a by the way. 🙂

@Andrews63 wrote:

@dust2dust wrote:

The GPS in the phone will show you your location on the map.

It's just what I am concerned by: will my GPS work, if I do not have the TALK plan?

If you are only after data need for GPS then yes, it will work. Using (for example Google maps) GPS with maps will use your data to update traffic, POI, route, etc.

I still suggest downloading piece of map for off-line navigation.

Andrews63

@dust2dust wrote:

The GPS in the phone will show you your location on the map.

It's just what I am concerned by: will my GPS work, if I do not have the TALK plan?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Data and text seem to have no problem when manually connected to T-Mobile.

By the way, "GPS" does not require the internet. You can download maps to use offline. The GPS in the phone will show you your location on the map. You can set up directions and then turn off data. But you would not have "live" navigation.

Need Help? Let's chat.