cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to another country

cleeman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do I need to do something prior to my trip to have my phone unlocked (?) so that I can use a different SIM card when I travel to another country?  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Yes phone must be unlocked. 

A compatibility check will NOT verify if phone is unlocked. It will verify if your phone type will work or not. 

If the phone you have is on PM if you can try another SIM, if works it is unlocked. 

NOT Telus or Koodo SIM

TRY Bell or Rogers SIM

Then as said...check what carrier that you plan to use and verify on their website. 

@cleemanIs yours a Canadian version ?  Most Samsung phones you got in Canada  should work worldwide, but of course,  better to do your homework to check

For checking unlock,  try to put in sim cards from different carriers to see of it connects 

@cleeman 

To determine compatibility, you'll first need to know which carrier you're going to use it on while travelling so that you can compare it to the network types that your phone supports.

When it comes to your Samsung device, it's possible that it could still be carrier locked. Although Samsung hasn't done this for new models in a few years, they have sold phones that locked to the carrier of the first SIM card.

cleeman

I purchased my Samsung phone directly from the company earlier this year.  I used the PM SIM card that I had from my previous phone.

cleeman

Thank you.  How can I find out if my phone is compatible with the network I want to use it on?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@cleeman wrote:

Do I need to do something prior to my trip to have my phone unlocked (?) so that I can use a different SIM card when I travel to another country?  Thanks!

@cleemanWhere did you get your phone? Unless you are using an old phone, it is more than likely unlocked. If you brought your phone to PM from Bell. Rogers etc, and it is working, it is most certainly unlocked. Have a friend pop in their sim from a different company. If it works you are good to go.

Edit: of course as mentioned by @computergeek541 make sure it is compatible with the new network.

Most phones in use today are already likely already unlocked. You will need to make sure that your device is compatible with the network that you wish to use it on.

Need Help? Let's chat.