cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring phone number process

nihancatal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am trying to understand the process of transferring phone number. 

Do I need to buy a SIM Card first? 

I tried and couldn't create an account without being Public Mobile member. 

When I buy SIM card, does it comes with a number which allows to create an account on Public Mobile, and then I transfer my old number to the SIM card I bought? 

By researching community forums this is what I understand about the process, can you please confirm or correct? 

Thank you,

Nihan

8 REPLIES 8

@nihancatal   BTW, PM currently are offering $25 bonus for new activations for both the referar and referee as long as the new account is activated before 9 pm ET, June 6th.   The bonus rewards are paid out in $5 increments over 5 months (every 30 days) for both parties as long as active service is maintained.

Make sure you use the referral code from a family member or friend to take advantage of this limited time offer and if you are planning on activating your account by Monday.

nihancatal

Good idea, I will check a store thank you!

nihancatal

I will buy the SIM. Thank you for the link!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@nihancatal 

- Yes you need to purchase a PM SIM first and use the 14 digit SIM number while activating the SIM. 

- Use your previous carrier account number or IMEI of the phone.
- Keep your old SIM in the phone wait for the text confirming with YES that you are porting your old number to PM.

There is a 90 minute window for you to reply or else!

- Power off your phone by holding down the power button then swap the SIM then power on.

Simple as that but remember to keep you old SIM in your phone before activating the PM SIM.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@nihancatal When you buy a Public Mobile SIM card, it does not come with a phone number. During activation of the SIM card you either pick a new number or choose to transfer from another provider.

Check to see if your number can be ported from this Koodo website (Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile), so, same allowances here:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @nihancatal   You need a sim card first.  But get it from store.  In fact, why not activate in store. Sales in store will be willing to give you a free sim when you activate there.

And when you activate, there is a steps to request porting.   It is prefer to enter the account number for your old provider.  Don't use IMEI as it will give you error.

Let us know how it goes

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@nihancatal hi you need to buy a sim pick a plan activate your account and you can port your number during the process of activating 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@nihancatal    Do you already have a new PM SIM card?  If you do then use this link and follow prompts to activate your account and you will be given a chance to select a new number if you are not porting in one from a previous provider.

Here's a link to activate:  https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Edit:  @nihancatal   You can activate the account and pick a temporary number and port in your old number later.  Reminder that you need to keep your old account active to transfer the number and keep the old SIM in your phone until you've had time to respond with a YES to the transfer request text from the previous provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.