cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a number to a local area

ben12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi i need to transfer my original numbers area, from penticton to vancouver to make it a local number. Can i do this without changing my number?

17 REPLIES 17

@computergeek541 the code (if they go that way) would go after country code

EG current number is 416-555-1234

New number would then be 4160-0555-1234

OR 9-416-555-1234

Assuming they keep the same structure and not doing something more radical (which there are proposals)

I don't care either way so long as numbers are fixed length, I hate how in other countries a cell phone has more digits than a landline etc or a major city gets its own added area code

@kav2001c

This is speculation of course, but along those lines of adding extra digits, I'm thinking that some type of regional or even provincial code that will become part of someone's full phone number that would either get attached to the current country code or even replace it.  Clearly, I'm just guessing.

Well @computergeek541 we have about 20 more years and then... ?

The NANP will be exhausted by that point (probably earlier) and we all will need a new numbering system

Proposals include abolishing area codes altogether (no more long distance finally!) adding extra digits (11 or 12 digit local dialing)  and even one code per country (to differentiate US/Can calling)

As far as waste goes, nearly 40% of the available numbers are totally unusable as system stands right now (chew on that, crazy eh) & other areas are chewing up numbers (eg GTA) where other geographic areas never hit capacity (Maritimes, Central Canada, Territories etc)

Ontario has more area codes than the rest of Canada combined at this point. It's not like anyone could possibly remember them all to see if free on provincial calling plans

226, 249, 289, 343, 365, 382, 387, 416, 437, 460, 519, 548, 613, 647, 683, 705, 742, 753, 807, 905, 942

@computergeek541 wrote:

Perhaps, that would be wasteful, but the entire process of phone number allocation is wasteful in itself.  Having multiple blocks of phone numbers that can only be assigned by a specific carrier would appear to add to that waste.  As for reflief area codes, those are in place and active well before phone numbers are exhausted from the old area code.  This proves necessary as customers often demand a choice of phone numbers.

@will13am wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am the odds of the same number even existing (regardless of long distance issues) are pretty slim as well

@will13am wrote:

Although in OPs case, there is no need to change area codes, the particular question asked is around keeping the 7 digit number and pairing with a different area code assuming an area code assuming an area code change was needed.  The answer is it would be extremely tough to do that.  The phone numbers are assigned with area code plus 7 digit number as a package.  It would be serendipitous that someone else has not already claimed the same 7 digit number in different area codes. 

@kav2001c, I am sure they will cycle through every combination of numbers before adding a new area code.  Otherwise it would be quite wasteful.

Perhaps, that would be wasteful, but the entire process of phone number allocation is wasteful in itself.  Having multiple blocks of phone numbers that can only be assigned by a specific carrier would appear to add to that waste.  As for reflief area codes, those are in place and active well before phone numbers are exhausted from the old area code.  This proves necessary as customers often demand a choice of phone numbers.

@will13am I would bet his odd are significantly better than lottery

604,800 technical permutations but in real life far less since many numbers are impossible eg 000-XXXX or 911 or overlays 250/778/236

7 digits with 10 possible values

Even the smaller 649 is 13,983,816 excluding guaranteed prizes

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am not even close. They do not want 100% use before relief is given (heck even venerable 416 still has numbers being recycled / held).

Also even if both were used, the odds are still against same carrier getting both blocks (I could check but I am doubtful it has ever happened)

@will13am wrote:

@kav2001c, I am sure they will cycle through every combination of numbers before adding a new area code.  Otherwise it would be quite wasteful.

@kav2001c, so we are in violent agreement.  OP is better off trying to match the lotto draw numbers instead of phone numbers.

@will13am not even close. They do not want 100% use before relief is given (heck even venerable 416 still has numbers being recycled / held).

Also even if both were used, the odds are still against same carrier getting both blocks (I could check but I am doubtful it has ever happened)

@will13am wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am the odds of the same number even existing (regardless of long distance issues) are pretty slim as well

@will13am wrote:

Although in OPs case, there is no need to change area codes, the particular question asked is around keeping the 7 digit number and pairing with a different area code assuming an area code assuming an area code change was needed.  The answer is it would be extremely tough to do that.  The phone numbers are assigned with area code plus 7 digit number as a package.  It would be serendipitous that someone else has not already claimed the same 7 digit number in different area codes. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@ben12 This issue relates to my personal problem too. Yes, it is not possible to transfer Penticton number to your local city. To get around this, Oracle, srlawren suggested me to use the fongo app that allows you to get a free local number. The app also allows you to call forward. You can enter your public mobile number as a call forward number whenever someone calls you on your fongo number. The only downside i can think of for this is that voicemails go to Fongo system. 

@will13am wrote:

@ben12 wrote:

Hi i need to transfer my original numbers area, from penticton to vancouver to make it a local number. Can i do this without changing my number?

No, what you are asking for isn't a possbility.  Phone numbers belong to a specific city, and there's no such thing as transfering a phone number from one city to another.

You can choose to keep your current phone number or you can take a new Vancouver number.  If you keep your old number, it will always be a Penticton number.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@wetcoaster, if he has moved to Vancouver it would be good to have a number that would be considered local to the landlines of that area.  Could be for work, and not wanting your boss or clients to have to call long distance from a landline.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

passiveegg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

my best optiion to you is if you have data, you should download the fongo app and it will let you call anywhere in canada for free. you can use a local toronto number as well. its the best app ever. 

@Taekgun wrote:

@ben12

If you really want a local number in Vancouver, you'll have to change it - those two areas of BC have different area codes.  Vancouver and Lower Mainland (604) and the rest of the province (250). 

There is a 778 area code in BC as well but I'm not sure if that really code is region

specific.  Maybe someone else can weigh in on the way things are today in BC, but I highly suspect you'll need a new number.

EDIT:  (addt'l info) You have the ability to change your phone number once a month via self serve.  If that process isn't successful (I've heard of the process failing for others), you can send a private message to the moderators at @CS_Agent and they'll be able to get you sorted.

@Taekgun  The 778 area code (and the next in the line-up, 236) overlays the whole province / both 250 and 604.

@ben12Public Mobile doesn't apply local calling area charges, province wide calling is the standard. So, cost wise there is no reason for you to change your number. It might make a difference for the people who are calling you, depending on their provider's billing policies. Only you know if that is important to you.

(FWIW, I have friends and some customers who have lived here for years or in one case even more than a decade, and they still use their Ontario/Alberta/Lower Mainland/etc cell phone number - and nobody has a problem with it, I hope that that's not just a local thing...)

@Taekgun area code 236 also covers entire province of BC

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ben12

If you really want a local number in Vancouver, you'll have to change it - those two areas of BC have different area codes.  Vancouver and Lower Mainland (604) and the rest of the province (250). 

There is a 778 area code in BC as well but I'm not sure if that really code is region

specific.  Maybe someone else can weigh in on the way things are today in BC, but I highly suspect you'll need a new number.

EDIT:  (addt'l info) You have the ability to change your phone number once a month via self serve.  If that process isn't successful (I've heard of the process failing for others), you can send a private message to the moderators at @CS_Agent and they'll be able to get you sorted.

Need Help? Let's chat.