cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message does not work when data plan is used up.

AliceLeiLei
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I encountered an issue, when my data plan is used up, I can not send and receive text messages, is there any setting for this?

Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6

AliceLeiLei

OMG, Thank you! My Send as SMS is off, I think that's why. Thank you again! I turned it on. 

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AliceLeiLei, try deleting the message and send a new one with “Send as SMS” on. You can also try resetting network settings and restart your phone.

HI @AliceLeiLei 

make sure send sms is enabled

Go to Settings > Messages, and turn on Send as SMS

And also, maybe the message you trying to send is an MMS, with MMS, even it does not really use your Mobile data , it needs Mobile Data turned on.  So, even you have data all used up, make sure you enable Mobile data, enable the settings I mentioned above and try again

AliceLeiLei

Hi, 

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm using an iPhone, but unfortunately, after the message failed to deliver, I tried this way, clicked on it and selected Send as Text Message, but it still failed. I tried many times but never succeeded. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @AliceLeiLei 

I'm going to take a gander and say you're using an iPhone? If so, once your data is used, iMessage will no longer work as it requires data. It will still work on WiFi but that's it. If it stops working, you can go into your settings and change it to text messages instead of iMessage. 

Settings>Messages you should have "iMessages" ON, and also "Send as SMS" should be ON.

I'm not sure what plan you have right now but not sure if you saw the Black Friday deal $34 40GB Unlimited data after that throttled, meaning iMessage will always work. Food for thought.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @AliceLeiLei if that is the case, you are not really using SMS or MMS.  You have been using iMessage or RCS

if you using iPhone, on the message that failed to deliver, click on it and select Send as Text Message

Need Help? Let's chat.