cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus just raised rates...

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I just read that telus is raising rates by $5 for certain plans. Since public mobile is owned by Telus, does this mean that the price increase will trickle down to PM subscribers?

13 REPLIES 13

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @Jeremy_M!  I think the most troubling part of the increases at the big 3 are that they impact BYOB most heavily.  Some have gone up by as much as $10-15 per month, basically eliminating BYOB discounts.  Which, really, is ridiculous.  It seems like they are trying to force people into 2 year contracts.  How?  Well, why would anyone pay the same price for BYOB vs. getting a supplemented hardware price?  You're basically forced into taking the contract and supplement or you're throwing away money every month.  Thank goodness for PM!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

That's good to know. Thanks.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello Community,

I see this as a burning question that many of you would want clarification on. So here it is:

• No, at this moment we do not have any plans of augmenting/ raising the price of our rate plans.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Telus and Koodo raised prices

yads
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Haven't seen Telus price increases yet, but the new Bell prices are insane. $75 for unlimited local calling + 1 GB of data is ludicrous.

@TroyDaBes Bell and Rogers announced price increases on Monday. Telus/Koodo only announced on Friday. From what I've read, the 3 tend to historically match each other's price increases within a short timeframe. Where there are only a few players in capital-intensive industries, I've seen such closely-mirrored price increases happen in several other countries (Europe/Asia) as well. So I'm confident they are not brought about as a result of collusion - though it's obvious to me that in this case, these latest mobility service price increases are not justifiable based on an increase in any operating or maintenance costs.

This, to me, illustrates why customers need to have other options. I've hardly kept it a secret that I have a severe distaste for PM's mercurial billing/activation systems and their completely desultory customer service processes (or lack thereof). And I say this with the highest regard for each of the hardworking PM employees that I've had the pleasure of interacting with - it's very clear to me that they are not the ones to fault. Despite this bitter aftertaste, I'm very happy to be a PM customer, and try to do my best to advocate for/promote it whenever given the chance - whether by handing out free SIMs locally, or by participating in discussions on this community.

In my view, companies that run on alternate business models (such as PM) are the saving grace of an industry that is generally infamous in this country for its lack of innovation and competition. And to me, this applies even if these smaller companies that run on alternate business models are owned at the end of the day by Big Telecom.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

You're SO cynical. It was purely coincidental!

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Btw, it's kinda funny that the BIG 3 all raised their plans on the same day. Yeah, of course there's no collusion here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

If anyone truly believes that prices will increase, purchase a 90-day instead of a 30-day plan.

During a plan's billing cycle, its price cannot be increased. In effect, the plan is a binding contract on both PM and you, including its price.

With regard to any future increases, PM is obliged, by its own Terms of Service, to post a notice of increase at least 30 calendar days on the plan's page.

FYI.

TroyDaBes

I really hope not. I'm getting worried especially how all the carriers will raise their rates by January 21st. These companies sure knows how to keep their oligopoly.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @ckl,

I would be exceedingly surprised if PM were to increase prices, at least in the near future, and while in Beta. Increasing prices during the preceding would not be sound marketing.

FYI.

homer

I just read the news as well. Koodo followed Telus' leads. Could PM moderators (maybe @Jeremy_M because you posted lots of stuff) dismiss our concerns? I am worried about it since RoBeTel all raised their plan prices recently. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I don't think PM will raise the price. 

Need Help? Let's chat.