cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange data usage

AimeeB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I received notification today that I have used 75% of my monthly data and I'm not even 2 weeks into my cycle. When I checked my usage, there is a 'web' usage on June 2 at 12:53 that used 9.18 MB of data and another one the same day (7:56) that used 1.62 MB. I am almost always on WIFI and use very little of my data. Is this a mistake? What could I possible be doing that would use that much data? At 12:53 (assuming it's pm) I would have been at work, during which time I rarely use my phone. Any ideas/suggestions? How will I make it to my next billing period if I don't know what is causing this insane usage?! Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

@esjliv wrote:

@AimeeB 

Is it possible your wifi setting was turn off accidentally? It happens.

There is a 24 hour delay in your usage history for data usage, on you Self Serve account, ....calling is listed more quickly.

If you just received  the text, then you may not see the usage until tomorrow in the usage list.

A good habit is to leave data off and only enable it when needed, especially when on small data packets. 

Yes data usage detail updates are delayed but it would be good to know what it says for the amount used. That's udpdated right away.

@AimeeB 

Your data updates in your daily usage pages twice daily in 12 hour blocks so the time that the update is shown is not reflective of the time you used the data. You can go back to the day of your renewal and add up your daily usage to see if it compares to your current usage on your overview page.

Set your data usage cycle to your plans renewal dates to get a more accurate usage in your phone. You can then scroll thru your apps to see their individual data usage. You should also ensure you have your data saver enabled and you should set your data warning and data limiter. I have mine set at 25% and 50% of my plan data so that even if I don't notice the warning notification my data will just stop at 50% until I reset and investigate what app has been using a lot of data that is out of the ordinary.

As mentioned there have been errant texts from 611 warning off 75% and 95% usage. If you get these just log in and check your data counter on the overview page to confirm your usage. You can ignore them if they are wrong.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@AimeeB 

Is it possible your wifi setting was turn off accidentally? It happens.

There is a 24 hour delay in your usage history for data usage, on you Self Serve account, ....calling is listed more quickly.

If you just received  the text, then you may not see the usage until tomorrow in the usage list.

A good habit is to leave data off and only enable it when needed, especially when on small data packets. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AimeeB : Can you post a screenshot of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

@AimeeB   How much data you have for the month?  

The 2 "odd" entries only counted 11mb.  If 75% used, there should be more different entries, were they correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AimeeB : And what does your data line say in your overview page? There have been the odd reports of spurious data usage texts. There have also been sporadic reports of rapid data consumption. The usage details aren't very useful due to their delay. The front page counter is almost immediate.

AimeeB

Yes, the 75% message came from 611.

AimeeB

Yes, it's at 75%. I checked my phone usage as well and can't really pinpoint what app it would be. I don't think the times on my PM account are accurate &/or not in the right time zone. Plus I don't know if they're am or pm. Either way, I am on Wifi and shouldn't be using any data. 

If you check your Mobile Data Usage using your build-in , there might be a trick to see what app used the data since June 2, the day you have issue with.

Go to your Mobile Data Data, change  the Start Billing Cycle on .. to Jun 2.   Then close out of the Mobile Data Usage.  Now, go back to Mobile Data Usage, it will then recalculate the usage for each App since Jun 2.   With this, you will have a better guess which app used the data.

Of course, you might want to change it back to your regular billing cycle after so you can better keep track of how much you used

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AimeeB : Did this 75% come from 611? Or is it your phone warning you of data usage? You need to sync the renewal date with the reporting on your phone. This place works on 30 days...not a month like most phones would have. Also the usage details are delayed. There's no real way to tell exactly when and what with it.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@AimeeB  if you logon to your Self-Serve, front page , Overview, there should be a line telling you how much data used and how much left.  Did that confirm that you have used 75% of your current allowance?

Also, best place to check Which app on your phone that used the data is check on your phone.  The built in  Mobile Data usage would show you which app used how much mobile data used.  However, built indata usage app might not give you 30 days cycle that PM uses, they usually do monthly.  Consider download 3rd part app like Data Counter Widget if you are using Anroid.

Need Help? Let's chat.