cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Text

Riley1998
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I’ve recently been receiving a lot of spam texts from random numbers. I have no clue how my phone number was given to who/whatever is texting me, but it’s annoying. Does anyone know how I can block these random numbers or restrict the spam? Any suggestions are welcomed! 

6 REPLIES 6

Smaug_ca
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, the below replies are incorrect that you can restrict the spam. There is a reporting mechanism for spam text messages sent to your Public Mobile phone. You report them so Public mobile can investigate and block. Think of it like a crowd sourced anti spam for text messages.

More info on how to report it here.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Report-spam-text-messages-sent-to-your-...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Riley1998 

you can ignore and delete and block,

if your phone number is New you can Changing Your Number 

up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. go to your Self Serve Account here link. and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number 
  • and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Riley1998 

Here's one way:

If you have a device which allows you to ONLY receive calls/texts from those in your Contacts, then enable that feature.

This way, these "random numbers" will not get through, but you'll still receive calls/texts from those in your contact list.

Another way to enable this feature is to use a "favorites only" setting within your call/texts.  This is something I enable during 'sleep hours' so no other random texts/calls can get through except those I've designated as "favorites".

The above settings are likely device dependent.  If you utilize this feature, you'll need to make sure your contact list if kept up to date with people you wish to hear from routinely.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Riley1998 Depends on the app and phone you use. There should be an option to block numbers. If this number is pretty new, you might wanna consider it changing from self-serve account. If you continue to receive spam, changing number would be the best option imo. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Riley1998   , are they targeted or you think just random spam?

If it is targeted, you might want to change number.   You can login to My Account and click Change Number

If it is random, just ignore, it will go ahead at some point

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Riley1998 wrote:

Hi, I’ve recently been receiving a lot of spam texts from random numbers. I have no clue how my phone number was given to who/whatever is texting me, but it’s annoying. Does anyone know how I can block these random numbers or restrict the spam? Any suggestions are welcomed! 

@Riley1998  - well, if the messages are coming from the same numbers, then yes, you should be able to select to Block those specific phone numbers on your device.

But, if the numbers are unique each time (you mentioned they are random), or look like local phone numbers, then there could be users spoofing phone numbers and have you on a list for calling/texting.

Please ensure not to click on any clicks embedded in the text and do not respond to them if they seem fraudulant.

Then delete them.

Public Mobile has no feature, currently, to stop spam text/calling. So this is going to have to be controlled by you to the best of your ability with your device and common sense.

Hopefully, these will stop soon. 

Need Help? Let's chat.