cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonim XP5s (XP5800) Compatibility

Kiwimobile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience using a Sonim XP5s (also known as Sonim XP5800) with PM? 

Kiwimobile_1-1681749039962.pngKiwimobile_2-1681749065938.png

It looks like it is only missing B17 and B29. I'm most likely going to have to buy an unlocked version from the US, which I don't think should be a problem.

Also if anyone uses dumb/simple phones and has a recommendation with PM (I'm not interested in the ZTE Cymbal 2 or TCL Flip) then I would love to hear it.

Thanks and have a great day.

16 REPLIES 16

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Kiwimobile 

I can absolutely confirm the XP-5800 works on public mobile. The bf just got that exact model. It is a former telus phone that has VoLTE and wifi calling provisioned in it. I will report back to confirm if VoLTE is working (or enabled on his account) and see if we can repeat the results of wifi calling working with pm as well.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Kiwimobile 

I've used the Alcatel A392A flip phone on pm but doesn't have VoLTE as far as I know....but the several of their later flip phone versions are VoLTE compatible.

https://us.alcatelmobile.com/alcatel-go-flip-3/#:~:text=With%20GO%20FLIP%203%2C%20enjoy,8%20devices%....

No experience with the Sonim XP-5 only the XP-8.....which did not pass the bf test. Lol...

Kiwimobile

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up!

I am not recommending. Simply that I found them. You said you didn't want ZTE (you shouldn't anyway and they shouldn't be being sold) or TCL. These little basic flip phones are basically throwaway nowadays. But I've seen them in like London Drugs out west here or Staples for example.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

All, I would suggest looking beyond band compatibility and considering VoLTE capability as well.  I know 2025 is far away but it is not that far.  

Kiwimobile

Update for future questions: The Xp5s does supposedly have VoLTE compatibility (pulled directly from SonimWare website)

Kiwimobile_1-1681752043309.png

Kiwimobile

@dust2dust 

I've heard bad things about Maxwest but if you've heard otherwise I'd be interested for another perspective. The Go Flip 3 seems like a reasonable option! 

Kiwimobile_0-1681751902856.png

Seems to only be missing the B17 which going off of @softech it should be okay. Thanks for your help!

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

There's the Maxwest Neo Flip LTE and Alcatel Go Flip 3 out there.

@Kiwimobile wrote:

@LitlLdy

Thank you

@Kiwimobile , you’re welcome. I’m just a very slow typer! 🤣

Kiwimobile

@LitlLdy

Thank you

Kiwimobile

@softech

That's encouraging because Bell does offer multiple Sonim phones for sale including this model. I'll have to check about VolTe compatibility

@softech wrote:

and @maximum_gato , since you are the Wise person here, do you have any suggestion of Dump phone to be used on PM network?

@softech , I was typing a message to tag @maximum_gato here who has a Sonim phone & other dumb phones! You beat me to it! 🤣

and @maximum_gato , since you are the Wise person here, do you have any suggestion of Dump phone to be used on PM network?

@Kiwimobile   for the dump phone, check with Telus/Koodo/Bell/Lucky/Virgin and see what they offer (as they all use the same network towers)

And make sure it is VoLTE compatible if you are planning to keep the dump phone for couple years

Kiwimobile

Thanks softech, yeah I did have a look also and can't seem to find too much information. If I do end up buying one I'll be sure to make a post letting everyone know. Dumbphones don't have a reliable database for use in Canada which is understandable but frustrating. 

Thanks for your help. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kiwimobile   

from the look of it, it is ok

Any phone should ideally have 3G B2, B5  (PASSED) and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage. (PASSED, just missing B17) 

I did a quick search and I don't think anyone posted about currently using this model of the phone

Need Help? Let's chat.