cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone changed the SIM on my Public account to gain access to my other accounts - need help ASAP

thatmatt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Someone changed the SIM on my account and is getting all my calls and texts. I need this fixed ASAP. Can anyone help???? At least disable it right away until I can sort it out via PM???

30 REPLIES 30

@thatmatt 

Change password and security question

Change the name on file and ask moderators to change to another email (you can use aliases)

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@thatmatt  unfortunately it is not possible. Once ported account is automatically closed. Many people wait till a day or two before payment due date to port out because the account is completely gone afterwards.

Maybe check with the other company how long you have for their offer and keep number here a bit longer?

Or ask the other company to give you a temporary number so you get the deal..then port your Public number over before the next payment due date (like two days before)?? This way you'd technically have two numbers and can use up your stuff on PM. 

@thatmatt 

No easy way to accomplish that as porting your number out closes you are account at PM. Yes remaining funds on a prepaid plan vanish. Best is to wait until a couple days before your 30 day plan expires here then port out. Dont leave it to the very last minute, allow for a glitch in porting as if your plan expires here you can no longer port your number elsewhere.

AE_Collector

thatmatt

@BeachNBeer do what happens to my pre-pay? Since it's a prepaid plan I assumed I could finish off my current term at least with a different number. I know I won't get a refund since it's prepaid, but does my remaining time just vanish?

thatmatt

@AE_Collector I'm moving to Bell actually. They do my cable and internet. I was on WIND before Public and PM is SO MUCH BETTER than freedom, no contest. Coverage wins that battle haha.

@thatmatt 

So ability to roam internationally is more important to you than the ability to make a call while moving around within Canada? You are moving to the 4th place Freedom Network from the 1st place Telus Network.

AE_Collector

BeachNBeer

@mh1983  😀 stronger lol. No worries it's only Tuesday.

BeachNBeer

@thatmatt  that makes sense and is completely understandable. Support, features and roaming options especially for a business number.

Unfortunately as @gblackma mentioned take note your idea would not be an option (keeping the account for a family member) as once the number is ported out the account is automatically closed. A new account would ha e to be created with a new sim card and start brand new account.

mh1983

@BeachNBeer wrote:

@mh1983  you must need your morning coffee. 

Screenshot_20200901_095432.jpg

(Because I actually was planning to port my number this week haha)

Maybe you need an expresso lol

My bad! I must've misread that as a port in. Yes, the stronger option would be more relevant here. lol

benfatto

@thatmatt Keep an eye on your credit cards for unexpected charges and any internet accounts that use your phone number for authorization of changes. 

@thatmatt if you port your number,  the account will be closed. Stay safe. 

thatmatt

@BeachNBeer Combo of things - PM fixed up loyalty and I lost about $25 a month in credit for referrals so now I'm paying a lot more, plus the self serve thing for cases like this is slower than I'd like (sometimes it's nicer to call a support person for cases like this, haha), lack of international roaming, frequent self serve portal outages, and a 20GB LTE plan for $60 with the company I already have internet and cable with, no contract. That offer was what pushed me to change over finally.

I still may keep the PM plan for someone else in the family because it's a good deal still but since this is also my business number I need the fast support, and also a 4GB plan isn't quite cutting it in 2020 for me.

BeachNBeer

@mh1983  you must need your morning coffee. 

Screenshot_20200901_095432.jpg

(Because I actually was planning to port my number this week haha)

Maybe you need an expresso lol

The frequency of sim swappiing lately is alarming. Hopefully it i doesn't become a wide spread issue within PM.😟

@mh1983 wrote:

@BeachNBeer wrote:

@thatmatt care to share why you're leaving PM? Better deal somewhere else?

Where did you glean that the OP was thinking of leaving? He was simply asking for help with this security issue. 

Because he said this. Not that porting means porting out and I have no idea who “them activating a new sim” is referring to.....

@thatmatt wrote:

@BeachNBeer it wasn't a port luckily (because I actually was planning to port my number this week haha). Just them activating a new SIM I guess via getting into my self serve.

@thatmatt don't forget to remove your autopay credit card from your PM account. To port from PM you need to give your new provider

1. Number to port

2. Name on accounts. 

3. One of imei number, account number or pin.

Stay safe. 

mh1983

@BeachNBeer wrote:

Where did you glean that the OP was thinking of leaving? He was simply asking for help with this security issue. 

BeachNBeer

mh1983

@BeachNBeer wrote:

They really need to do something with all these sim jacks. PM should delay port outs for 24 hours and notify the customer. Have a tick box as another member said to "allow port,'.

@thatmatt  change your passwords for everything connected to your phone. Hope Public can fix for you.

In the interest of beefing up security, it might also be a good time to use a password management tool like Lastpass that generates secure passwords for each of your accounts.

thatmatt

@BeachNBeer it wasn't a port luckily (because I actually was planning to port my number this week haha). Just them activating a new SIM I guess via getting into my self serve.

BeachNBeer

@kb_mv sorry. I fixed the tag

@BeachNBeer Thanks but I'm not the one with the problem....

BeachNBeer

They really need to do something with all these sim jacks. PM should delay port outs for 24 hours and notify the customer. Have a tick box as another member said to "allow port,'.

@thatmatt  change your passwords for everything connected to your phone. Hope Public can fix for you.

@thatmatt That should give a little piece of mind while you sort it out! Good luck.

thatmatt

Yep did that, thank you!!

thatmatt

Good call on suspending, didn't know about that!!! Thanks!!

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@thatmatt wrote:

Someone changed the SIM on my account and is getting all my calls and texts. I need this fixed ASAP. Can anyone help???? At least disable it right away until I can sort it out via PM???

@thatmatt Maybe sign into your self serve account and report the phone lost/stolen to freeze it for the time being?

thatmatt

I did that but this is a burning issue, is there a way to get this fixed faster than 48 hours?? In that time frame they could access all my credit cards, paypal, etc.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@thatmatt hi contact customer support mods here

click on the question mark chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen
type "security or identity fraud issue"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

Need Help? Let's chat.