cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap fraud

Mitchbw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My sim card was hijacked. Now i have a new sim but it wont activate. Ive been fighting with this for days. I have had the worst experience ever with this public mobile and wouldnt reccomend it to anyone nor do i want to continue. Havent had a phone for days

12 REPLIES 12

@Mitchbw wrote:

Not sure what my next step is to resolve this matter? 

If you're 100% certain you've been Sim Swapped, immediately log in and change passwords to your public mobile self-serve account, then any accounts which utilize 2-factor authentication, including any financial accounts you have and any services such as where PayPal is used.   It seems to be a target for these hackers.

Mitchbw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not sure what my next step is to resolve this matter? 

Quite understandable, @computergeek541 

A concern ought to be that customers may have to contact all financial providers and make password changes & such, without knowing whether they were even SIM-swapped in the first place. (while waiting on Mod's to get back to them...)

Taking away the option to at least VIEW ones own SIM# may create a lot of unnecessary work for customers who suddenly wake up without services on a non-renewal day.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Yes, @computergeek541 , thanks for confirming.

Just tried that.  I see the new messaging.   Interesting. 

I'm presuming Public Mobile considers this the superior option, balancing out the impact of the risk of sim-swaps vs the inability of it's customers to do this as a self-service process.

So do you suppose this means that if a SIM swap DOES OCCUR, and since a customer can no longer ascertain the SIM#'s match, that a hacker will have more time to do their damage until a PM Moderator can establish such has occurred?   I hope this new process virtually eliminates SIM swaps/hacks...

I don't have perfect answers for you. My feeling is that this will do nothing. Anyone who could have already got into the account to do the swap in self serve will have already had sufficient access to the account to provide enough information to convince the moderator to perform the swap. It's only going to slow the person down.

Yes, @computergeek541 , thanks for confirming.

Just tried that.  I see the new messaging.   Interesting. 

I'm presuming Public Mobile considers this the superior option, balancing out the impact of the risk of sim-swaps vs the inability of it's customers to do this as a self-service process.

So do you suppose this means that if a SIM swap DOES OCCUR, and since a customer can no longer ascertain the SIM#'s match, that a hacker will have more time to do their damage until a PM Moderator can establish such has occurred?   I hope this new process virtually eliminates SIM swaps/hacks...

@HALIMACS wrote:

@computergeek541 

I had heard this was possibly occurring.  Do you know if there's an article or announcement one can refer to containing helpful advice for customers?

So does this mean anytime a customer needs to change/confirm their SIM number they must do so through Moderators ONLY?

Wonderful. 🙄

This started yesterday.  If you go into your self serve account, the sim swap feature has been replaced with instructions to open a ticket. Yes, a moderator is needed now for all SIM card changes.

Some information in in the help pages. SIM Swap Fraud (publicmobile.ca)

@computergeek541 

I had heard this was possibly occurring.  Do you know if there's an article or announcement one can refer to containing helpful advice for customers?

So does this mean anytime a customer needs to change/confirm their SIM number they must do so through Moderators ONLY?

Wonderful. 🙄

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Mitchbw 

In your self service account, choose Change Sim Card.

Ensure the last 4 digits on the self-serve SIM number match your SIM card to ensure you have not been sim jacked. 

@HALIMACS 

Ciustomers can no longer change the active SIM card themselves. Also, the self serve page will not show the last 4 digits of the active SIM card.

@Mitchbw wrote:

My sim card was hijacked. Now i have a new sim but it wont activate. Ive been fighting with this for days. I have had the worst experience ever with this public mobile and wouldnt reccomend it to anyone nor do i want to continue. Havent had a phone for days

Careful not to try to use the new account activation page. You need to attach the SIM card to your existing account. Alny switch to the SIM card being used must be done through a moderator.  Please proceed to https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

and type "sim card swap".   However, since you have to get a moderator involved regardless, you may wish to ask the mdoerator to restore service to the Public Mobile SIM card that you were already using.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Mitchbw 

[EDIT:  Below suggestion no longer applicable, customers can no longer do this through a self-serve function, choosing option get's this result - please proceed to Moderators:

HALIMACS_0-1615296023716.png]

In your self service account, choose Change Sim Card.

Ensure the last 4 digits on the self-serve SIM number match your SIM card to ensure you have not been sim jacked. 

If they do not match, while still on the self-serve account, put your phone in lost/stolen mode and change the password. Then check and secure all your financials.

From, there, contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system - faster response time. Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.
  2. Send a private message to the moderator through the following link  here
Need Help? Let's chat.