cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim not working

Tej_Inder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys, i bought a public mobile sim yesterday. I tried to port from chatr to public mobile but it didn't go well, as i didn't know my account number for chatr. So, i went with imei and ended up paying for $50 plan. It's been 14 hours that either of my sim cards i.e. chatr and public are not working at all. where public mobile sim shows the status of No Sim and chatr sim shows the status no service. Please help me ASAP

21 REPLIES 21

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Tej_Inder wrote:

my phone was unlocked when i tried to port it. but even after taking back my porting request and going with a new phone number from PM my sim still doesnot work and it's been a full week that any of the moderators have contacted me. i've sent a lot of private messages to them. i've lost around $50 for this stupid mobile service that doesnot even work at all. i tried this sim in iphone 7 as well it still shows the same problem that the phone cannot detect the sim being installed in it.

If you tried your Sim in more than one device and the phones are not detecting it that means 'What'?  Common Sense tells me that the Sim is Defective.  Buy a new Sim at one of the Retailers, Do a Sim Swap via Self Serve so you have active phone service and then get in touch with PM Moderator for Sim Reimbursement. There is no point in waiting for them because they are going to tell you the same thing.  

@Tej_Inder 

Wow, that is a long time for moderator response.  

The only thing that you have not tried that you could do is to exchange the SIM card  for a new SIM and see whether the original SIM is defective.  

Tej_Inder

my phone was unlocked when i tried to port it. but even after taking back my porting request and going with a new phone number from PM my sim still doesnot work and it's been a full week that any of the moderators have contacted me. i've sent a lot of private messages to them. i've lost around $50 for this stupid mobile service that doesnot even work at all. i tried this sim in iphone 7 as well it still shows the same problem that the phone cannot detect the sim being installed in it.

Lyrhea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Was your phone unlocked before you changed from chart? If not it won’t recognize sim. New phones are automatically unlocked but with older ones you have to call and get it unlocked by your provider 

@Tej_Inder wrote:

@geopublic  yep i tried contacting moderator team they replied ke twice and sent me a link for verification. After completing verification, the moderator team asked me for my sim number which i provided to them two days ago but still haven’t received any reply from them. 

I have tried this sim in Samsung S9+ the problem is same in that phone as well.

@Tej_Inder  The fact that it doesn't work on the S9+ suggests an issue with the account or the sim. I would recommend waiting for the @CS_Agent  to determine the problem. If you want to be proactive and don't mind trying a new sim to eliminate the possibility of a bad sim you can pick one up from a retail location and login into selfserve and select the change sim option.

Edit:  @Tej_Inder  I think your problem is related to the failed/stuck port and it's affected you account. You should let the moderator know to check the status of the port on your account. I don't think a new SIM is going to fix the issue.Smiley Sad

Tej_Inder

@geopublic  yep i tried contacting moderator team they replied ke twice and sent me a link for verification. After completing verification, the moderator team asked me for my sim number which i provided to them two days ago but still haven’t received any reply from them. 

I have tried this sim in Samsung S9+ the problem is same in that phone as well.

@Tej_Inder wrote:

I did the same, problem still remains the same, sim card is not being detected.

@Tej_Inder  Did you ever get a reply back from the @CS_Agent ?

To check there should be a red dot on the envelope icon above this page. It's very strange that you are getting a no sim error. The other phone that was used to test was it also an iPhone? When you say you have tried many different sims where they all Rogers based sims like Chart, Speakout, Fido etc did you test any Bell sims? 

It's still possible your phone is locked that is why it's not recognizing the PM sim.

I still think it's worthwhile to contact the moderator before purchasing a new SIM.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern).

Tej_Inder

I did the same, problem still remains the same, sim card is not being detected.

@Tej_Inder wrote:

my phone is Iphone SE and yeah when i go to self serve, it says the plan is active. i don't think my phone is locked because i have usec almost all the sims in my phone but this is probably for the first time that my phone is not recognizing a sim card. for now i'm using a new number of chatr which my phone recognized so easily. But Pm sim is having the same issue. Should i order a new sim from PM? Man Sad

@Tej_Inder  Best thing to do is is you have another phone to test or borrow one from a friend or family member to determine if the problem is the sim or your phone.

Tej_Inder

my phone is Iphone SE and yeah when i go to self serve, it says the plan is active. i don't think my phone is locked because i have usec almost all the sims in my phone but this is probably for the first time that my phone is not recognizing a sim card. for now i'm using a new number of chatr which my phone recognized so easily. But Pm sim is having the same issue. Should i order a new sim from PM? Man Sad

JackQuint

@geopublic wrote:

If you put in your old sim card into you phone is the sim recognized? If yes, and your PM card is not recognized it means that your phone is locked or the PM sim is defective. Smiley Sad

This ... your phone could very well be locked if it's more than eighteen months old. Chatr is required to unlock it for you and the instructions on doing so will likely vary based on Android vs. iOS.

@Tej_Inder wrote:

i have taken back my request of port from chatr and now i have chosen a new number from public mobile. but the sim status in my phone still says no sim inserted. and i still haven't received any response from the moderators. 

@Tej_Inder  What kinda a phone do you have? Is it unlocked? When you login into selfserve does it show your plan as active?

Edit: Also if it's true as suggested by @surreyboz  that chatr allows you to port your number 180 days after you stop paying into your account you can always port your number once you get the PM SIM going.

If you put in your old sim card into you phone is the sim recognized? If yes, and your PM card is not recognized it means that your phone is locked or the PM sim is defective. Smiley Sad

Tej_Inder

i have taken back my request of port from chatr and now i have chosen a new number from public mobile. but the sim status in my phone still says no sim inserted. and i still haven't received any response from the moderators. 

surreyboz

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tej_Inder wrote:

Hi guys, i bought a public mobile sim yesterday. I tried to port from chatr to public mobile but it didn't go well, as i didn't know my account number for chatr. So, i went with imei and ended up paying for $50 plan. It's been 14 hours that either of my sim cards i.e. chatr and public are not working at all. where public mobile sim shows the status of No Sim and chatr sim shows the status no service. Please help me ASAP

As said earlier, you need to recactivate your Chtar service. Also, I would do yourself a favor and call Chatr customer service and get your Chatr account number.  Once you have that and after you've reactivated you Chatr service by paying for another month, you can then contact Public Mobile's moderators to re-attempt the nubmer porting.  Keep in mind that you will lose anything that you've already paid to Chatr for the upcoming month, so I would consider having your Chatr plan switched to least expensive plan possible.

Only Public Mobile & Koodo Prepaid won't let you Port your number out when you paid Active Service Runs out. Bell Prepaid, Virgin Prepaid & Lucky Mobile you have 120 Days after your Paid Service Runs out to Port a number out with out having to Top up/Pay,  Rogers Prepaid, Fido Prepaid & Chatr you have 180 days to Port out without having to Top up/Pay.  Telus Mobility Prepaid you have 90 Days to Port out when your Paid Service Runs out to Port out without having to Top up/Pay.    Again only Public Mobile & Koodo Prepaid won't let you Port if you are not Active Paid Status

Tej_Inder

i have tried contacting moderators as well but still didn't get any response and the  plan add on tab shows me the new number but still in my phone it says no sim for public mobile.

@Tej_Inder wrote:

As said earlier, you need to recactivate your Chtar service. Also, I would do yourself a favor and call Chatr customer service and get your Chatr account number.  Once you have that and after you've reactivated you Chatr service by paying for another month, you can then contact Public Mobile's moderators to re-attempt the nubmer porting.  Keep in mind that you will lose anything that you've already paid to Chatr for the upcoming month, so I would consider having your Chatr plan switched to least expensive plan possible.

@Tej_Inder wrote:

i tried changing to a new number but it is still not working at all.

@Tej_Inder  Try powering down your phone remove the sim wait for a couple of minutes insert sim and power up. Any change?

Also:

1. Were you able to change your number?
  2. If you login to selfserve does your plan show active?
  3. If you select the Payment & Addon tab does it show the correct phone number on the page?
  4. Have you contacted the moderators yet?

Tej_Inder

i tried changing to a new number but it is still not working at all.

@Tej_Inder wrote:

Hi, thanks for replying. My chatr account was not working at the time of port as it was the anniversary date of my chatr sim. Is it a big problem or it can be solved?

@Tej_Inder  If you still want to port your number then you need to to re-activate your chatr account. If you don't mind using a different number then just login into selfserve

and select the change number option and select a new number.

Tej_Inder

Hi, thanks for replying. My chatr account was not working at the time of port as it was the anniversary date of my chatr sim. Is it a big problem or it can be solved?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Tej_Inder wrote:

@Tej_Inder  Was your chatr account active when you setup the port? To fix port issues you need to contact Public Mobile by clicking here. 

The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern).

Need Help? Let's chat.