cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Neffos C5 (TP701A) be compatible with Public Mobile in the Calagary, AB area?

DwayneVogler
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I vaguely remember lending this phone to one of my sisters about a year ago when her phone was broken. She was on Public Mobile and told me that it did not work but did not specify what the problem was. I am now intending to get local service in Calgary, but I need to know if my existing device should work on the network before buying Public Mobile service.

Here is the information I have:

• It is running Android version 5.1 (kernel version 3.10.65+)
  • The "Get Started" page on publicmobile.ca says the following

PhoneCompatibility.png

• Frequency compatibility is where I am concerned though. The reference I am using is here.
    • This phone and the network appear to both support LTE on 2100 MHz. But I do not knwo what type of coverage to expect on that band in the Calgary area.
    • Since Public Mobile in an MVNO, is it useful information to say that with a Cypriot SIM card it appears to roam on the Bell network?
    • When lookign at available networks, I do see Rogers, Wind, Telus, and Bell for 4G, as well as Rogers for 2G. (If memory serves, Public Mobile runs on the Telus network, right?)
  • The phone was purchased in Germany and worked reliably on local networks throughout europe (Most of the EU, Romania, Ukraine, and Norway tested), as well as working in Ontario (and Germany) when using a T-Mobile SIM from the states

5 REPLIES 5

@DwayneVogler, as you've already posted all the information I specified, I've done the search.

It will only connect on 4G as stated above.  You could do a data only plan if you wish, and use some form of VoIP for calls and messaging.  This would be rather costly.

It will work on Roger's 2G network until that company turns off 2G.

DwayneVogler
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you all for the information.

Try searching on the site www.willmyphonework.net

This site has a large selection of devices to search.

Can you provide the specific model number of your device?  Perhaps seeing the specs will help us inform you better.

Public Mobile is wholly owned and operated by Telus and uses the shared Bell and Telus network nationwide.  If you know it works on Bell, it should work here.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No it is not compatible with 3G of public mobile/telus and there is no VOLTE so its not good

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DwayneVogler, based on the information from this site, it doesn't look good.  Germany uses band 1 for UMTS.  Canada uses band 2 and 5 (band 4 for Freedom).  Without 3G compatibility, this phone won't work for phone calls.  There is LTE compatibility on band 7, but that band is pretty sparse. 

https://www.mygermanphone.de/carrier-overview/

Need Help? Let's chat.