cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Suspension for Overdue Payment?

cornpops
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi mods,

I'm facing a dilemma with my $40/4GB promo plan.

I want to switch to Koodo for the $100 bill credit and $100 referral discount, but this referral promotion is only redeemable online. My PM plan renews on the 14th (6 days from now) and I'm quite certain the Koodo sim card will not arrive in time for me to port my PM number over. 

I was wondering if my PM service will be suspended if I don't make a payment? Is there a way for customer service to 'extend' my billing cycle a few days just so I have the appropriate time to switch over to Koodo?

Last resort would be me signing up for a Koodo account at a retail store, but the deal won't be as sweet since the referral bonus will only be $25. 

Cheers.

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the update @koimr1. Still no shipping notice for me 😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@cornpopswrote:

I read over on RedFlagDeals that your 6GB migration plan is 'locked' in once you order the sim, but I can't seem to verify that. However, if that is not the case and I am forced to change my rate plan to $20, any audit that goes behind the scenes at Koodo might raise some red flags.  

I can't confirm the "lock in" details.  From what I've read in other threads here, Koodo has a list of phone numbers for eligible PM customers - your number is either already on their list or it isn't.

cornpops

@koimr1 I guess that makes me a bit more hopeful. I assumed it shipped from Ontario via CP letter mail, so that would take at least 5 days to reach BC. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cornpopswrote:

I think I'm just going to take the loss and play it safe by migrating at a retail store. Seems like processing and shipping dates are backlogged, so it probably won't arrive in Vancouver until late next week. 

Best of luck @ScrapIron! Let us know how it works out for you!

If it helps at all, I ordered two SIMs on Tuesday and today the orders were shipped (they go through a "verifying" stage after you place your order) and Canada Post tracking says the ETA is Monday. I'm in Maple Ridge which is close to Vancouver and the SIMs are being shipped from Calgary.

Tuesday was the first day of the 6GB Promo so you can judge whether or not demand has increased since then. If Monday is accurate for me* then that would be four business days not including the day I ordered. Obviously ymmv. The Koodo site is now saying ten days+ for phone orders and SIM deliveries fall under that.

*Maple Ridge can be hit-or-miss with CP sometimes because apparently I live in a wild west frontier town. 🙂

@srlawren: tagging you because we conversed about this and hope you got your shipping email too!

cornpops

Thanks for the insight everyone!

I could take the gamble and order the sim online - if anything I could do what @Korth and @wetcoaster suggested and just change my rate plan to a $20/30days for PM. I read over on RedFlagDeals that your 6GB migration plan is 'locked' in once you order the sim, but I can't seem to verify that. However, if that is not the case and I am forced to change my rate plan to $20, any audit that goes behind the scenes at Koodo might raise some red flags. 

I think I'm just going to take the loss and play it safe by migrating at a retail store. Seems like processing and shipping dates are backlogged, so it probably won't arrive in Vancouver until late next week. 

Best of luck @ScrapIron! Let us know how it works out for you!

ScrapIron
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Luddite I'm just going to hope it doesn't come to that point where it expires before the sim card arrives lol

That's why I suggest letting the account expire. Then you still "own" the 90 day promo plan. Polite groveling works well with our moderators. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ScrapIron

@Luddite I have no problem paying the extra $20 for safety but as @srlawren mentioned, I'm not sure if they'll honour the switch if its no longer the 3 months plan.

@ScrapIron @cornpops I totally support @wetcoaster's suggestion. Get the ball rolling now. If your PM account goes into suspension speak first to Koodo to get it done as they "caused" the problem with their delays. However, you may need to come back to our moderators and ask for some kindness. Worst case PM will require you to reactivate your account; $20 for 30 day calling.

It's not yet clear if Koodo will let you use the assigned number rather than insisting you port-in the PM number.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth the only concern there is....  will Koodo still honor the promo if you're not on the targetted plan at the time of the port?  I'm not saying they won't, but I'm not saying they will either.  Honestly I have no idea.  I'm guessing it would be okay as long as your phone number was on the list and the system took your number when entering the promo card and ordering the SIM, you're probably fine.  But if by chance there is an additional check during or after the porting process, could they possibly say you no longer qualify for the promo plan?  I can't say either way.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

$15+tax for Koodo SIM card

vs

$20 (minus Rewards!) for cheapest-possible PM phone plan

ScrapIron

I actually have the same dilemna for mine. Three accounts expiring in 10 days. I switched one account first in store and referred the other two online. 

I private messaged the Mods and they said that I would need to keep my account active for the migration. They recommended going to the store first as it would be only way to ensure that I get the cards.

I'm kind of playing with fire now, just hoping that the sim card arrives before the plan expires. I think the back up plan is to just go to the store on the expiry date and swallow the extra cost to buy the cards.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@cornpopswrote:

Hi mods,

I'm facing a dilemma with my $40/4GB promo plan.

I want to switch to Koodo for the $100 bill credit and $100 referral discount, but this referral promotion is only redeemable online. My PM plan renews on the 14th (6 days from now) and I'm quite certain the Koodo sim card will not arrive in time for me to port my PM number over. 

I was wondering if my PM service will be suspended if I don't make a payment? Is there a way for customer service to 'extend' my billing cycle a few days just so I have the appropriate time to switch over to Koodo?

Last resort would be me signing up for a Koodo account at a retail store, but the deal won't be as sweet since the referral bonus will only be $25. 

Cheers.

My understanding is that you can sign up with Koodo online and then the SIM card is mailed to you. In order to take advantage of the migration offer you need to provide the promo code and your phone number which will be cross referenced with Koodo's list of eligible Public Mobile customers. Your Public Mobile plan needs to be active for the number port.

If you sign up asap chances are good that your SIM card arrives before your Public Mobile plan runs out. For the time being I'd just remove auto pay and your credit information so that your plan doesn't renew on the full $120.

If you see on the 13th that the Koodo SIM card will not be with you before the 15th you could do a manual top-up for a cheaper plan and do a future dated plan change (you'll get not refunds for unused portions of that plan). Or you can wait without an active plan until you have the Koodo SIM in hand and ask the moderator team for help to reactivate your account for the port.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@cornpops

Your options are to pay $20 for 30-day Province-wide Talk (the cheapest plan I could see) - still better than losing out on $100 bonus.  Or to let your service be suspended, if you're able to live without your phone for a few days.

You won't lose the number unless it's been suspended for >90 days.  Although if it's suspended then I think the number port requires carrier-side intervention to complete ... but isn't that what the Koodo reps are there for, lol?

You can message the mods, maybe they can issue you a 10-day pass or give you some other option/assurance.

jzmtl

PM will pause your service but hold your number for 3 months without payment I believe, if nothing has changed since last year. 

Need Help? Let's chat.