cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***SOLVED*** iPhone 5 Data Not Working

platinum
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all, newly signed up with Public Mobile with the 4GB promo. I just wish it worked!

Here's the details:

-My account shows my data is active and available

-My apn is set up as sp.mb.com, with everything else blank

-I've tried resetting the phone, resetting network settings, removing and reinstalling the SIM card

-Phone calls, text messaging work fine

-My carrier settings say TELUS 14.0

-I've tried connecting to my home wifi to update carrier settings but nothing happens

-I have great reception where I am

What more can I do to get this working?

11 REPLIES 11

@platinum Another post reminded me that only iOS 9 and later can update the APN settings correctly from the carrier update. If you wish to remain on iOS 6, you will need to connect to wifi, access APN iPhone 4 with Safari, then follow the directions there. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@platinum wrote:

Yup, I'm shopping for a new phone atm!

Don't give up just yet. Backup your phone, then update the OS; Settings >> General >> Software update. You may need to install some intermediate versions but just work your way up to iOS 10. I have an original iPhone 5 still fully functional with only a battery replacement. If you have a Mac install coconutbattery to check your battery.

If you are determined to get a new phone check out Koodo, WOW Mobile, and Loblaws Mobile Shop for the best deals on older, but brand new, phones. Their best deals involve getting a Koodo account for three months, but I picked up an SE for just $150 net cost a month ago.

If you are really lazy, at least check out the prices at Koodo and persuade a friend with a Koodo account to get it for you. iPhone SE is just $240 plus taxes.

platinum

Yup, I'm shopping for a new phone atm!

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The site is down right now, but later you can try going to:

http://unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

platinum

Yeah, I tried that too... nothing.

Looks like I'm gonna be buying a new phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello 

i hope you see this and is help you 🙂

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-cellular-data-iphone-ipad/

Good Luck 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@platinum Please, read this, maybe it would be helpful: 3G Data plan not working in iPhone5

Have you tried to toggle Airplane Mode off, wait 5 seconds, toggle it back on?

Since Public Mobile’s 3G is actual throttled down LTE, please verify your APN settings (I know, it is for iPhone 6, but…):

2018-06-23_163447.jpg

platinum

Maybe I should get a newer phone!

platinum

On the About Screen, nothing comes up for carrier settings update... and I'm on iOS 6... could be the problem eh?

Another thought: Settings >> Carrier >> turn Automatic off, then pick one, other than Telus/Koodo/PM, reboot. Then go back, turn Automatic ON, and reboot.

If you were on Telus previously perhaps the phone remembers.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

That carrier setting is not correct. Go again to Settings >> General >> About and wait a moment; if a carrier update is offered install it. On my iPhone carrier version is Public Mobile 32.0.

If your phone is not on iOS 10, best to update it.

Let us know how it goes.

Need Help? Let's chat.