cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card activation issues

racoen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had my phone# transferred from Koodo. I assume that it worked because I got cut off from Koodo, but I am left with a phone that does not recognize the SIM. It is a newly purchased MaxWest Gravity 5. According to the device matcher it should work with Public Mobile. I assume anyway, because it has a checkmark after "3G 850MHz, 1900MHz". Any suggestions or is this phone not compatible after all? Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@racoen 

Great that it's working for you now! It's likely the dual SIM nature of the phone and your new SIM not previously 'activated' or working, leading to a glitch in the phone making it de-prioritize your SIM.

Remember to claim your free 1gb data and 400 LD international minutes before Dec 25, 11:59pm EST for $0 under the add-ons tab.   

racoen

I switched into another phone and it worked there. Then I switched to mine and it worked! Go figure... I did nothing but switch the SIM back and forth. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@racoen wrote:

The SIM works fine on another phone, so the SIM is not the issue. The phone was unlocked when purchased.

Did you try both SIM slots?

Can you check to make sure the phone isn't set to GSM 2G. It should be the 3G.

racoen

The SIM works fine on another phone, so the SIM is not the issue. The phone was unlocked when purchased.

racoen

Sorry, posted to wrong board.

racoen

Tried both slots already and both say that SIM is not detected.

racoen

I saw Koodo warning, but I was on post paid and not pre-paid. 

racoen

I purchased a new phone and ported over from Koodo, so this phone was never on Koodo... Didn't reboot yet, as reportedly it reverts to Mandarin. I'll try that if I get desperate enough, so thank you. I'll try switching my Sim into another phone tonight and see how that goes.

ilikepm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Could also be a dual SIM card issue. Hopefully, this discussion may help you:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/SIM-card-doesn-t-work-when-data-is-ac...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@racoen  Sounds like you account was not provisioned properly. Best to submit a ticket to PM and ask them to reset your account. To contact them do the following:

stpm-new.png

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Was that a Koodo prepaid number that you ported over? Because the process is a little different when going from Koodo prepaid to Public mobile, there is a warning about this during activation as well.

From the FAQs: 

" If you are transferring from a Koodo prepaid plan you will need to select a new number at activation, create a Community account, and then send a private message to our Moderator Team to complete the transfer to Public Mobile. "

For your phone, check the APN settings on it you may have to set that up manually.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@racoen 

If your phone worked with Koodo, your phone should work with PM.

Here are the specs

https://www.gsmarena.com/maxwest_gravity_5-7589.php

Did you reboot the phone?  Maybe try a network rest.

Maybe try your SIM card in another phone to help determine whether hardware issue versus PM Service issue.  

If PM Service issue, you will need to contact moderator.  

Need Help? Let's chat.